Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Initial Time Machine Backup with Time Capsule via Ethernet

1625 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2009 4:13 PM by rjglassey RSS
MattBerlin Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 29, 2009 2:40 AM
Really would appreciate some help on this one:

I am trying to complete the initial time machine backup using ethernet having turned off the wireless function.

Invariably, after completing the first 20 GB or so, the initial backup is interrupted ("Time Machine could not complete the backup - The backup disk is not available") and then Airport Utility cannot find Time Capsule anymore. The only solution appears to be to reset the Time Capsule to its factory settings and start again, unfortunately always with the same result.

Two questions:
1) Has anybody experienced the same problem and found a solution?
2) Is there a (detailed) step by step guide of how to connect to time capsule via ethernet?

Many thanks for your help!
MacBook2.1, Mac OS X (10.6)
  • Patrick Matheson Level 2 Level 2 (300 points)
    I had something similar to this when I first had my TC. The only way I resolved it was to reset to factory settings and run the backup then. Once complete then I made changes to the config.
     iMac 24" (aluminum) -  MacBook Pro 13" -  MacBook 13" (White), Mac OS X (10.5.7), Blackberry Bold -  16Gb iPhone 3G - TV 160Gb -  Time Capsule -  U2 Ipod 20Gb
    No still do your backup via ethernet the first time.
    If you do it via wireless it might take 2 days!
    With the TC in its virgin state just plug your cable in and run the backup.
    Once finished then you can setup your wireless network.
     iMac 24" (aluminum) -  MacBook Pro 13" -  MacBook 13" (White), Mac OS X (10.6), Blackberry Bold -  16Gb iPhone 3G - TV 160Gb -  Time Capsule -  U2 Ipod 20Gb
  • rjglassey Calculating status...
    I've just went through the same thing with a new 1TB Time Capsule (TC). I initially tried to extend my existing wireless network, connect TC to internet, and update firmware all at once, then attempted to do the initial Time Machine backup over ethernet, but my Mac or TC decided to use wireless instead - which I cancelled.

I agree with Patrick, reset and do the backup first before setting the network options.

However, I have a second mac to backup soon, and I'm a little concerned that its initial backup will take forever. Surely TC is clever enough to spot that there is an ethernet cable to use, or have I missed a crucial setting?
    MacbookPro 13" (Jun09/2.53GHz/4GB), Mac OS X (10.6), 24" LED Cinema Display
    Yes it is clever enough to detect the ethernet cable, but for some strange reason if you have your wireless enabled it will use that over the cable! I know they sell it as a wireless backup device but you would think it would use the fastest connection available.
     iMac 24" (aluminum) -  MacBook Pro 13" -  MacBook 13" (White), Mac OS X (10.6), Blackberry Bold -  16Gb iPhone 3G - TV 160Gb -  Time Capsule -  U2 Ipod 20Gb
  • rjglassey Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    I suspect I need to set the Service Order in the Network preference pane - I presume if Airport is at the top of the list, and it is available, then it defaults to that, despite the presence of a faster wired link. Will tread more carefully with the next Mac and its initial backup.
    MacbookPro 13" (Jun09/2.53GHz/4GB), Mac OS X (10.6), 24" LED Cinema Display

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.