Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Initial Time Machine Backup with Time Capsule via Ethernet

Really would appreciate some help on this one:

I am trying to complete the initial time machine backup using ethernet having turned off the wireless function.

Invariably, after completing the first 20 GB or so, the initial backup is interrupted ("Time Machine could not complete the backup - The backup disk is not available") and then Airport Utility cannot find Time Capsule anymore. The only solution appears to be to reset the Time Capsule to its factory settings and start again, unfortunately always with the same result.

Two questions:
1) Has anybody experienced the same problem and found a solution?
2) Is there a (detailed) step by step guide of how to connect to time capsule via ethernet?

Many thanks for your help!

MacBook2.1, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 2:40 AM

7 replies

Sep 1, 2009 2:39 AM in response to MattBerlin

I've just went through the same thing with a new 1TB Time Capsule (TC). I initially tried to extend my existing wireless network, connect TC to internet, and update firmware all at once, then attempted to do the initial Time Machine backup over ethernet, but my Mac or TC decided to use wireless instead - which I cancelled.

I agree with Patrick, reset and do the backup first before setting the network options.

However, I have a second mac to backup soon, and I'm a little concerned that its initial backup will take forever. Surely TC is clever enough to spot that there is an ethernet cable to use, or have I missed a crucial setting?

Sep 1, 2009 1:41 PM in response to Patrick Matheson

Patrick Matheson wrote:
No still do your backup via ethernet the first time.
If you do it via wireless it might take 2 days! 🙂
With the TC in its virgin state just plug your cable in and run the backup.
Once finished then you can setup your wireless network.

Thanks Patrick for clarifying. I'm afraid 2 days might not even be sufficient...
Have tried your advice, but, alas, same problem again.

Came across the Time Machine Buddy widget (VERY useful): here's the content of the log.

+Starting standard backup+
+Attempting to mount network destination using URL: afp://Matt@MattTC.local/Data+
+Mounted network destination using URL: afp://Matt@MattTC.local/Data+
+Creating disk image /Volumes/Data/Matt's MacBook.sparsebundle+
+Disk image /Volumes/Data/Matt's MacBook.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups+
+Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb+
+Ownership is disabled on the backup destination volume. Enabling.+
+Backup content size: 181.1 GB excluded items size: 76.3 GB for volume Matt HD 320+
+Backup content size: 115.3 GB excluded items size: 20.6 GB for volume MS LaCie LittleDisk 320+
+No pre-backup thinning needed: 239.37 GB requested (including padding), 463.19 GB available+
+Waiting for index to be ready (101)+
+Copied 2.2 GB of 199.5 GB, 158 of 1695229 items+
+Copied 2.2 GB of 199.5 GB, 171 of 1695229 items+
+Copied 2.2 GB of 199.5 GB, 188 of 1695229 items+
+Copied 5.7 GB of 199.5 GB, 2176 of 1695229 items+
+Stopping backup.+
+Stopping backupd to allow ejection of backup destination disk!+
+Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException: * -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: Device not configured+
+Error: (-34) SrcErr:NO Copying /Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg/Contents/Resources/background.tif to /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/Matt's MacBook/2009-08-31-123352.inProgress/B934F100-0FB9-4346-834C-B3714E33CF23/Matt HD 320/Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg/Contents/Resources+
+Error writing to backup log. NSFileHandleOperationException: * -[NSConcreteFileHandle writeData:]: Device not configured+
+Copied 20239 files (13.5 GB) from volume Matt HD 320.+
+Copy stage failed with error:28+

Needless to say,
1) there was no user intervention during the back up process - it simply decided to stop the backup and 'eject' the TC
2) afterwards TC cannot be found on the network or using Airport Utility etc, UNLESS I do another full reset to factory settings.

Frustrating!

Initial Time Machine Backup with Time Capsule via Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.