Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule no longer associated wih backups

So here's the situation:

A few weeks ago I had my logic board replaced due to the nvidia issue.

Since that time, my TC is no longer associated with my backups. If I try to enter the TC backups, none of my previous backups are shown. So I have at least a year of backups which are not viewable/accessible.

Now the TC wants to do a full backup, but the TC does not have enough space to accomplish this task.

I would like to re-associate the TC with it's backup without losing my backup files.

Any suggestions?

mbp C2D 15", 2.40, 160 gig hd, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 5:26 AM

1 reply

Aug 29, 2009 5:48 AM in response to Docal97

Welcome to the discussions, Docal97!

I've had a similar issue in the past and contacted Apple for support. The explanation was that since a main board was replaced on the computer, in effect, I had a new computer.

When you have a new computer, there is not an option to associate the computer with Time Machine backups from another computer and simply keep the process going. Time Machine / Time Capsule will insist on making a new complete backup since it sees a new computer.

You will be able to restore a copy of your "old" computer to your "new" computer if you need to do this. You would use Migration Assistant.

Once you have your backup restored using Migration Assistant, you will need to erase the Time Capsule disk and start a new complete backup of your computer.

I did this approximately a year ago and perhaps it is possible that new system software updates, or Snow Leopard will give you more options. In any event, I think you should contact Apple directly for instructions.

Time capsule no longer associated wih backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.