Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to erase Leopard to install Snow Leopard

Sorry if this was repeated in previous questions but I bought the $29 SL and don't want to just upgrade if I can do a clean install by erasing and installing just SL.
I do have a full backup.

When booting from SL disk I do not see any option for disk utility to erase and install.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Macbopok Pro Late 2008, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 5:49 AM

5 replies

Aug 29, 2009 7:36 AM in response to RIPNHL2005

Yeah, I noticed there wasn't an option to do a "erase and install" or "archive and install" as with previous versions of 10.x.

You can boot from your install DVD by pressing the C key after you insert the DVD and reboot, then open up Disk Utility and press the Erase button, then conduct a "normal" installation from the DVD. However, I don't think you have to do the installation this way.. a lot of unnecessary work.

Sep 4, 2009 9:15 PM in response to Russa

"Unnecessary" is in the eye of the beholder. I bequeathed my "old" (2 years old) MBP to my son when I got a new one. I had a bunch of stuff on it that he would never use. I deleted what I could and set him up as a user, but the home directory is still "jdoe" because my name is John Doe whereas if it had been his computer from the start it would have been "bdoe" because his name is Bob Doe.

I've always wanted to start from scratch for him. I could have reinstalled the OS that came with the computer but never bothered. This seems to be a great time to get rid of my junk and set it up just for him. "Unnecessary"? Not for me...

BTW, the install instructions that come with SL are wrong. They tell you to put in your original install disk and do a bunch of stuff. All you need to do is go to the Utilities menu after the first reboot and use Disk Utility to erase the disk, just as it's described here. Note that the SL disk doesn't have iLife. If you do this kind of install you'll lose iLife and will have to either install it off the original OS X disk that came with your computer or from a more recent disk that you purchased.

How to erase Leopard to install Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.