Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing modifier keys in keyboard preference pane has no effect

I use a standard "windows" usb external keyboard. In 10.5 you could remap the "Command" and "Option" keys to match the "Mac" layout. In 10.6 the preference pane is still available, but no matter how you change the pop-up menus the keyboard layout is not changed. See http://iamwa.de/45

I have verified this to be the case with three different USB keyboards.

iMac C2D 1.86, Mac OS X (10.6), external usb keyboard

Posted on Aug 29, 2009 10:05 AM

14 replies

Aug 31, 2009 11:33 AM in response to Wade Hays

I was just able to get this to work.

I had my keyboard plugged into my monitor along with my Logitech mouse, which was acting as a USB hub. I plugged my keyboard directly into my computer, making sure that my mouse was NOT also plugged in, and then switched the modifier preferences. It worked just fine. I set everything back up to how it was before and the preferences have stuck - the modifier key functions remain.

Aug 31, 2009 6:03 PM in response to mtrichardson

@mtrichardson: THANK YOU!!! I've been having problems my modifier keys for months, and was using the section of the modifiers that affected ALL keyboards to swap the modifier keys. That section was apparently removed in snow leopard which left me high and dry until I saw your post. I tried unplugging the mouse and THEN configuring the USB keyboard, and that did the trick!

Mouse is a logitech mx revolution, which I love, but it apparently causes some strange side effects. I should never have installed Logitech's drivers.

Thanks again,

-- Mike

Dec 3, 2009 1:10 PM in response to Wade Hays

Unplugging the dongle to my Logitech MX 1100 and then swapping my modifier keys worked. Just be sure to open the modifier keys window first.

Unfortunately I have to have the Logitech drivers to be able to adjust the settings on extra buttons like the sensitivity switching ones. I really wish the sensitivity levels were preset in the mouse and each press of the plus or minus buttons just moved up or down a level. All the other buttons can be programmed through OS X as far as I can tell.

Changing modifier keys in keyboard preference pane has no effect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.