Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

W7, Ad-hoc netowork and iPhone

Let me first say that I really hate Apple for holding their customers away in a strict arms length when it comes to support. It is indeed impossible to get behind the machine just as well as when their products malfunctions. A 'forum' is simply not good enough!

Okay... next thing - the problem.
I am running Windows 7 RTM Ultimate. I've never tried this on Vista but 'they' say Vista does it very well. Anyway I was redirected here because some Microsoft people says its an Apple-issue. So jump to http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/cfc75c c7-9009-4636-9c73-ab0f9316bc42/?prof=required and please note the link in my second post that will take you to another post with the exact same question.

I dont know on whos lawn this issue should be places and I dont care, I just want to be able to connect my iPhone to the ad hoc network generated by my laptop running W7

The problem is pretty simple: Go through the Ad Hoc guide to set up a wireless network using your laptop as accesspoint. All computers are able to connect except for my iPhone. On the iPhone i get the 169.254.xxx.xxx-Ip which is the IP you get if the device has to give itself an IP (basically because the get-IP-function times out). Anyway - the link above really brushes out my problem very well.
So anyone with the same problem - I know its a rare one - but its worth a try

Other OS, nothing to mention

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 3:03 PM

1 reply

W7, Ad-hoc netowork and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.