Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pentax pocketJet 3?

Its an older printer, but killer for traveling (about the size of a power strip)
But I do believe its a PPC drive. Has been working fine with leopard.
Same hold true for Snow?

(also have the same issue with a McAlly ICEcad tablet, I use to get signatures)
Two things I really can't live without.

Mac Mini & G5 Dual 2.0 2.5GB RAM 400+GB hd, Mac OS X (10.4.3), Where's my Convertable laptop/tablet mac???????

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 2:52 PM

8 replies

Aug 30, 2009 3:01 PM in response to MudShark

Printers require printer drivers. If there is no compatible printer driver, then it's likely the printer will not work. If there is only a PPC driver for the printer then it is not going to work. You will need to contact the manufacturer to see if a compatible driver is available or will become available. However, we are discovering gradually that many printer manufacturers are not going to upgrade drivers for their older and obsolete products.

As for the tablet you will want to contact MacAlly about that. Most tablets require a proprietary driver, and it must be one that will work with SL and on an Intel Mac.

If you need these items for daily use then I would hold up on using SL until you find suitable substitutes or the manufacturers release compatible drivers.

Aug 30, 2009 3:21 PM in response to Kappy

Cool! Thanks. So after doing some other reasearch, its going to cost upwards of $500-600 to do a $30 OS upgrade. (that even Apple said was only a 1/2 upgrade, hence the low price)
New hardware, new version of QuickBook (thieves!) and some other minor items.

Plain ole Lepoard it is.

edit: Is there a way to tell if its a PPC UB or Intel driver?

Message was edited by: MudShark

Sep 17, 2009 10:34 PM in response to MudShark

You can definitely print with a PocketJet under Snow Leopard.

I added a Pentax PocketJet3+BT to my MacBook after converting to Snow Leopard. Printer was an auction buy from a photo dealer with no accessories or documentation but an exceptional deal. Got the rest of the items I needed today in the mail from another photo dealer(battery pack, charger, instructions, cleaning paper, etc.).

Installed the Pentax .dmg file. Not perfect, but it definitely works. Can get it to work by USB cable with the driver on the printer default settings. Haven't got the Pentax printer utility or the wireless or infrared hookups to work yet...not that critical because I just need this for quick prints on the go with little weight and don't want to bother with complicated software or settings. Just want to turn it on, plug it in to the USB port and hit command-P to print a web page or document. May tinker with it another time to see if I can get other bells and whistles to work...

In "mac hd/activity monitor/utilities/activity monitor" you can see what kind of active item is being used under "kind". It says 64 bit intel for full fledged snow leopard apps, just intel for I think 32 bit apps, and PowerPC for dated stuff. Some dated PowerPC stuff will run including my dated Canon scanner with all the driver software.

Pentax pocketJet 3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.