Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Compatibility - 1.6 GHz G5

I put in a 9800 Pro card in my G5 and every so often, she'll freeze and have serious trouble rebooting. When I put in the original OEM NVidia card, the issues stopped. Is the 9800 supported? Is there another high performance card this is perhaps a better fit?

Mac Pro @ 2.66 GHz, Power Mac G5 @ 1.6 GHz, Power Mac G4 @ Dual 1.8 GHz,, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 5:05 AM

Hi-

The 9800 Pro is fully supported in OS X and the G5.
Could be the card is getting too hot.
This is the most common ailment of the 9800 Pro.
is the fan working properly?

A much better card is the Geforce 6800 Ultra DDL.
Very fast.
The Geforce is an OEM card, but flashed 6800 Ultra and GT cards are as good, and a bit cheaper.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2009 5:05 AM in response to KGD

Hi-

The 9800 Pro is fully supported in OS X and the G5.
Could be the card is getting too hot.
This is the most common ailment of the 9800 Pro.
is the fan working properly?

A much better card is the Geforce 6800 Ultra DDL.
Very fast.
The Geforce is an OEM card, but flashed 6800 Ultra and GT cards are as good, and a bit cheaper.

Sep 22, 2009 7:26 PM in response to japamac

Well I obtained a PCI Slot Fan and put on near the 9800 card that was problematic before. Moves heat out quite well and keeps the OEM fans from running their fullest... and so far, no creashes and no issues. Best $5 I have spent in a while. So it seems that heat was causing the problem. Hopefully this machine will continue running smoothly.

Message was edited by: KGD

Nov 5, 2009 2:25 PM in response to KGD

My G5 Radeon 9800 card had a fan making high pitched noises...probably a bearing problem. I was able to replace the stock fan with an EverCool unit PN EC5010M 12S. I think this unit pushes a bit more air than the stock piece and fits in the original heat sink. The original mounting holes don't line up but I used a dab of silicon seal (rated up to 400 deg. F) at each of the mounting points and it seems to be holding fine and provides a flexible cushion. Save your old mounting screws just in case. You can get this through directron.com for about $15 w/shipping. Waiting for the silicon adhesive to dry took the longest time.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Compatibility - 1.6 GHz G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.