5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2009 7:25 AM by David Cooper1
David Cooper1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

I don't know if this is related to the Snow Leopard upgrade or not, but I am unable to delete some contacts from Address Book. The contacts I can't delete are contacts that appear to have been added from my wife's address book that I subscribed to. Now, of course, the subscribed address book is gone, but I'm left with all her contacts which I can't delete.

I tried resetting the sync data and just downloading my address book on MobileMe, but that doesn't seem to work. And interestingly, MobileMe nor my iPhone has any of these extra contacts even after syncing. I am able to edit these additional contacts, but when I try to delete them, nothing happens. When I delete one of my contacts, it is deleted as you would expect. I also tried repairing permissions, but no luck there either.

Any help greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks,


MacBook 2.2 Core Duo 4G RAM; iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10 (101,790 points)
    HI David,

    Try repairing disk permissions.

    Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

  • Chris Mclellan Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    This sounds like an issue similar to the topic in this thread:

  • David Cooper1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanks Carolyn, but as you can see from my post I've already tried repairing permissions.
  • David Cooper1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Yes Chris! This is exactly my issue. Will give some of these suggestions a try when I get a chance.

    Many thanks.
  • David Cooper1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    It appears my issue has been resolved with the help of thread you posted:


    I did end up calling Apple Support to clarify the procedure so in case anyone else is having the problem, here is my version of the fix:

    As always, create a backup of your current Address Book in case something goes awry.

    1. Sign out of MobileMe in your Home account.
    2. Sign in to your Guest account or create a Test account.
    3. Sign in to MobileMe in the MobileMe preference pane in the Test/Guest account.
    4. Go to the Sync pane in the MobileMe preference pane and Sync. You will receive a question as to what you want to do. I chose to Replace contacts on the computer with contacts from MobileMe.
    5. After syncing you should have an address book without the contacts that were merged from the address book you had been subscribing to.
    6. Export an address book archive (extension .abbu). Copy the resulting file to a flash drive or an external hard drive that is available.
    7. Return to your home account and Import that file to your address book. You will get a message asking you if you want to replace all the contacts with the ones you are importing. Answer yes.
    8. Quit address book and re-launch. At this point you should see all your groups and contacts without the subscription contacts that were merged and couldn't be deleted.
    9. Sign in to MobileMe and re-enable syncing.