Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All rosetta apps crash after SL install

After installing SL on my iMac, ALL of my rosetta apps crash when trying to launch. They are all apps that are supposed to work with SL, in fact a couple of them that are on my Macbook run just fine after I upgraded the Macbook to SL.

I reinstalled SL several times, once with rosetta checked in custom install, all with the same result. I ended up doing a full restore to Leopard 10.5.8 from TM so that I can get my work done today. Maybe this next weekend I will try again to upgrade, but I am very hesitant.

Anyone else have similar problems? Maybe rosetta is not installing correctly or conflicting with something on this particular Mac?

G5, iMac, Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 6:00 AM

13 replies

Aug 31, 2009 8:32 AM in response to a brody

The rosetta apps were already on the intel Mac running Leopard and working just fine since the first of this year. It is only after upgrading to SL that all of the apps now crash when trying to launch. Migration Assistant was not used during the SL install.

Migration Assistant was used back in January when I purchased the intel iMac to transfer everything over from my old G5, and I had no issues at all. I have now used TM to restore the iMac back to Leopard and everything runs great, but of course I am not running SL at the moment. 😟

Aug 31, 2009 9:14 AM in response to a brody

No violation is taking place, (please don't jump to conclusions). One program that I use everyday for my work has been through 4 or 5 upgrades that was done through downloads, and now that program is no longer supported or being sold for the Mac. Getting an install CD from the company is impossible and even if I could install the last version that I do have an install CD for, getting it upgraded to the latest working version would be impossible.

Of course, the other apps that are not working will be able to all be installed again after contacting the different vendors and downloading the programs again. Still a big hassle....

And I did try to reinstall one of them while I was still running SL and the installer, which required rosetta, would also crash and I was unable to reinstall. So I believe that there is more to my problem than having used Migration Assistant at one time.

Aug 31, 2009 10:59 AM in response to a brody

I may have found the culprit. I looked at System Prefs and noticed a utility called PlugSuit. I have no idea why it was there or what it was originally used for (probably carried over from my old G5, who knows). Some searching showed up that it can cause programs to crash, the threads were before SL came out but it does make the utility suspect.

I have now removed it and may try installing SL this weekend to see if that fixes the problem.

Sep 5, 2009 6:40 AM in response to flashgj

I solved my problem. It was not the utility PlugSuit. After reinstalling SL, every app that used rosetta would crash on launch. Looking at the crash report I noticed that every log was identical and was caused by a file called 'motion.components' located in Library/Quicktime/. I looked on my other computers that I had successfully updated and the file was not there. So I deleted the file on the problem computer and now everything seems to be running great.

Before deleting, I did a quick google search and could not find out what motion.components is used by, so I think it must be something that was carried over from my old G5 installs.

I am now a happy SL user on all of my Macs.

All rosetta apps crash after SL install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.