Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optional Installs for Snow Leopard

After completing the installation of Snow Leopard, I noticed the "Optional Installs" folder on the disc and opened the Optional Install.mpkg. Under applications it lists Address Book, Mail, iTunes, iChat, etc. Does this mean they were not installed and I'm still using the Leopard versions, or were any new updates installed and they are there in case you need to reinstall? I just want to make sure I'm running the "latest & greatest" of everything. So the question is whether I need to do anything with these or if as long as I went through the normal update process I'm all good. Thank you.

Apple 15" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 9:34 AM

5 replies

Aug 31, 2009 9:37 AM in response to Redmen34

Redmen34 wrote:
After completing the installation of Snow Leopard, I noticed the "Optional Installs" folder on the disc and opened the Optional Install.mpkg. Under applications it lists Address Book, Mail, iTunes, iChat, etc. Does this mean they were not installed

no. it means that you could have chosen not to install them during the SL installation by pressing the "custom" button on one of the installer screens. but all those apps are installed by default if you didn't customize your installation. you don't have to do anything.
and I'm still using the Leopard versions, or were any new updates installed and they are there in case you need to reinstall? I just want to make sure I'm running the "latest & greatest" of everything. So the question is whether I need to do anything with these or if as long as I went through the normal update process I'm all good. Thank you.

Aug 31, 2009 9:39 AM in response to Redmen34

Hello R:

Does this mean they were not installed and I'm still using the Leopard versions, or were any new updates installed and they are there in case you need to reinstall?

You should be using the latest versions of those programs. Just to be absolutely sure, run software update. You do not need to do anything else with the install DVD.

Barry

Optional Installs for Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.