1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2009 1:25 PM by Barney-15E
FUGW Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I used to have Quicktime Pro. Can anyone tell me where it went since installing 10.6?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)
  • 1. Re: QuickTime Pro
    Niel Level 10 Level 10 (242,105 points)
    Open the QuickTime Player 7 application in the Utilities folder to access it.

(46958)
  • 2. Re: QuickTime Pro
    The newest version that comes with 10.6 is Quicktime 10.0. Why would apple want me to download 7.0 again?
  • 3. Re: QuickTime Pro
    William Lloyd Level 6 Level 6 (19,355 points)
    Because QT 7 has functionality that QuickTime X does not. If you need it, you'll want QT 7. If you don't, you might not.
  • 4. Re: QuickTime Pro
    Len D Level 4 Level 4 (1,000 points)
    Did you clean install or upgrade? If you upgraded, then QT pro would be under the Utilities folder. If you clean installed, then you can select QT 7 as a custom option during the install process, then enter your pro key.
  • 5. Re: QuickTime Pro
    So should 10.6 users that have Qt Pro, have both QT versions?
  • 6. Re: QuickTime Pro
    zsilverberg Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)
    Yes, quicktime 10 will appear in your applications folder and your old quicktime pro will appear in your utilities folder.
  • 7. Re: QuickTime Pro
    Niel Level 10 Level 10 (242,105 points)
    So should 10.6 users that have Qt Pro, have both QT versions?

Yes. If you have QuickTime Pro, the old version of the QuickTime Player is installed by default. Otherwise, it's an optional installation.

(46960)
  • 8. Re: QuickTime Pro
    Thanks for the tips. I must tell you though I cannot find it in the Utilities folder. Any idea how I go around finding it?
  • 9. Re: QuickTime Pro
    Tim Campbell1 Level 3 Level 3 (570 points)
    FUGW wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. I must tell you though I cannot find it in the Utilities folder. Any idea how I go around finding it?

If you don't have QT 7 in your Utilities folder, then insert your Snow Leopard install disk, when it opens double click "Optional Installs" then double click the "Optional Installs.mpkg" file. This starts an installer. As you proceed through the installer and get to the "Installation Type" section you will notice that "QuickTime 7" is one of the optional packages you can install.

All of these were options that would have appeared in your initial Snow Leopard install if you had selected the "Customize..." button.

Message was edited by: Tim Campbell1
  • 10. Re: QuickTime Pro
    John Meyer Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Thanx,
    John
  • 11. Re: Quicktime Pro
    DenverSteve Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)
    I was rather dismayed that I couldn't use the features that were with QuickTime 7.6.3 so I got brave and took it out of the utilities folder where it was placed when I installed Snow Leopard. I then went into my Time Machine Backups, went to my computers saved library in the SYSTEM FOLDER copied ALL of the components, then pasted them into my HOME library in the new version of installed Leopard Files. When I open up QuickTime 7, I now have access to the two preference areas in the finder, one that now shows my previous registration code, and the other general app preferences. I was also able to convert files from one format to another like before. I haven't used this extensively, so I can't vouch that I might fall prey to some form of future conflict. But, h
  • 12. Re: Quicktime Pro
    cowboygeek Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for answering this question for me. I attempted to show a presentation to colleagues using the new Quicktime. While the new program is great it doesn't have the same functionality I was used to in terms of shortcuts. I did find QTPro in the Utilities folder just as you said. I think I'll have a chance to get most of the new stuff down soon. I haven't had a chance to play with it that much, either, since I just updated my Final Cut Studio 2 to 3 yesterday. Again though, thanks for saving me another potentially nagging holiday headache.

Message was edited by: cowboygeek
  • 13. Re: Quicktime Pro
    BeechjetDriver Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    After installing Snow Leopard, I missed having QuickTime Pro versus QuickTime X automatically open my various video files, so I moved QuickTime 7.6.3 from the utilities folder to the applications folder, reset it as the default application to open my media, reinstalled it in the dock, and removed QuickTime X from the dock.

Seems like everything is back to normal.
  • 14. Re: Quicktime Pro
    Malcolm Rayfield Level 7 Level 7 (28,070 points)
    After installing Snow Leopard, I missed having QuickTime Pro versus QuickTime X automatically open my various video files, so I moved QuickTime 7.6.3 from the utilities folder to the applications folder, reset it as the default application to open my media, reinstalled it in the dock, and removed QuickTime X from the dock.

Seems like everything is back to normal.

It should have worked if you did the same operations, but left it in the Utilities folder. If you move it, Software Update my not be able to find it.
1 2 Previous Next