Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP LaserJet 4000 JetDirect configuration help

I have a HP LaserJet 4000N that is a great workhorse printer, and if I can keep using it, I'd be ecstatic.

However, adding the printer in Snow Leopard via the HP Jetdirect - Socket is not working for me. The configuration page says the printer's IP Address is 10.140.28.20 (an IP Address which persisted after I tried a Factory Reset as suggested in another thread).

After I input this address, and click Add, my computer never successfully connects to the printer. Am I doing something wrong? or is there another strategy I should follow?

Cheers

MacBook Pro/Mac Pro/ MBA / iMac Intel/G5 1.8/, Mac OS X (10.5.5), HP LaserJet 4000N

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 6:37 PM

6 replies

Aug 31, 2009 7:15 PM in response to swanksalot

In terminal
ping 10.140.28.20
What do you see?

In Safari, enter the web address: 10.140.28.20
What do you see? If you see the HP printer config page, then you might need to enable JetDirect (aka Port 9100) It iss deep in the network config area.

Also, you could try adding the printer using LPD

Aug 31, 2009 7:35 PM in response to swanksalot

The answer was to use the suggestions found in this thread:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2133275&start=15&tstart=0

and tackle the "CFG Network=Yes" settings on the LaserJet 4000 front panel.

This printer, even though it worked fine in AppleTalk, was assigned on a different subnet, changing that to match the subnets that the rest of my Macs use was the solution.

Sep 14, 2009 1:28 PM in response to swanksalot

How I did it.
LaserJet4050 (but it does not matter)

connect your printer with an ethernet cable directly to your mac

print out config page from you printer
change in your NETWORK to same IP address printer is 192.0.0.192
ip address 192.0.0.50
subnet 255.255.255.0
router 192.0.0.1

open Terminal in Utilities

typ telnet 192.0.0.192
typ /

change your IP, Subnet and Router

typ for ip address
ip: 192.168.1.xxx
for subnet
subnet-mask: 255.255.255.0
for router
default-gw: 192.168.1.xxx

typ quite

print config page from your printer

go back to NETWORk and change to your network

go PRINT&FAX

add printer
choose IP printer
choose HP Jerdirekt-Socket
choose as address your new ip address of your printer

Change cables (back to network)

DONE

work for me after two days of research and reading.......

HP telnet web
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpj05732& printver=true#A0

Message was edited by: Andreas Koenig

Sep 14, 2009 1:53 PM in response to swanksalot

I had trouble connecting to my HP printers as well, and though I managed to get them to connect with a direct Ethernet cable, they didn't connect once I had them back in to the router - the addresses didn't match.

If you are using a router, you need to find the DHCP client list on the router, and use the addresses from there, not the ones on the printers own config page.

Hope that helps...

Sep 14, 2009 4:43 PM in response to swanksalot

I have had sooo many difficulties in attempting to set up my HP LaserJet 4050N using an IP address connected to my iMac via Ethernet… but tonight I have finally succeeded! So for the benefit of anyone else who is having difficulties here is a complete step-by-step guide to how I achieved it.

In ‘System Preferences’ in ‘Network’, I made sure that ‘Ethernet’ is set to the following:
‘Configure IPv4: Using DHCP’

Two numbers are given:
‘IP Address’ and ‘Subnet Mask’

(you might need to click ‘Renew DHCP Lease’ by clicking ‘Advanced’ and under ‘TCP/IP’ clicking ‘Renew DHCP Lease’)

WRITE BOTH OF THESE DOWN!

Go to ‘Applications’ folder and click on ‘Utilities’ and open ‘Network Utility’. Click on the ‘Info’ tab and from the drop-down menu select ‘Ethernet’.
The ‘IP Address’ should be the same as that given in the ‘Network’ settings panel for the Ethernet port.

On my HP LaserJet 4050N I went through the following menus:

Click the green ‘GO’ button until the display reads ‘Offline’
Click ‘MENU’ 7 times or until ‘EIO 2 JETDIRECT MENU’ shows
Press ‘ITEM’ button until ‘CFG NETWORKJ=NO *’ is displayed
Press ‘VALUE’ button until value reads ‘YES’
Press ‘SELECT’
Press ‘ITEM’ button until ‘CFG TCP/IP=NO*’ is displayed
Press ‘VALUE’ button until value reads ‘YES’
Press ‘SELECT’
Press ‘ITEM’ button until ‘BOOTP=NO’ is displayed (or press ‘VALUE’ button until value reads ‘NO’ and then press ‘SELECT’)
Press ‘ITEM’ button until
‘IP BYTE 1=XXX’ is displayed and where I have put ‘XXX’ using the ‘VALUE’ button enter the first number of the ‘IP’ address given in ‘Network Utility’.
Repeat this procedure for ‘BYTE 2, 3 AND 4’ by using entering a value each time using the ‘VALUE’ button and then pressing ‘SELECT’ before finally moving onto the next ‘IP BYTE’ value using the ‘ITEM’ button.
After all of the ‘IP’ values have been entered pressing the ‘ITEM’ button will display ‘SM BYTE 1=XXX’ – this is the ‘Subnet Mask’ value. Follow the same process as for the ‘IP’ address and enter the values given in the ‘Ethernet’ pane in ‘Network’ under ‘System Preferences’.
After entering the final ‘Subnet Mask (SM)’ value (BYTE 4) press ‘SELECT’ and finally press the green ‘GO’ button.

As soon as the green ‘GO’ button has been pressed the ‘IP’ value in both ‘Network’ (under ‘System Preferences’) and ‘Network Utility’ (Applications/Utilities) will change to display a new ‘IP’ address. The ‘Subnet Mask’ value displayed in ‘Network’ (under ‘System Preference’s should display the same ‘Subnet Mask’ value).

Now close ‘Network Utility’.
Click on the ‘SHOW ALL’ tab in the open ‘NETWORK’ window.
Click on ‘Print & Fax’ in ‘System Preferences’.
Click on the ‘+’ tab on the left of the ‘Printers’ Pane.
Click on the ‘IP’ tab.
From the drop down menu ‘Select HP Jetdirect – Socket.’
Now in the Address field enter the ‘IP’ values that you entered in the printer (and that you wrote down earlier).
Once entered click ‘Add’.

I really hope that what has worked for me works for anyone else who is struggling to set up their HP printer using IP over Ethernet. Please post any success.

Kind regards

Neil.

HP LaserJet 4000 JetDirect configuration help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.