Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WAN Remote Office Network Setup with VOiP using AX

Dear All,

I am setting up our new office and I love the USB Backup and Print capability of the Airport Extreme (AX) - that's the easy part.

I would also like to use VOiP.

Ontop of this we are pinching the broadband connection from our sister company in the next door office by running a WAN cable between our AX and their router.

My concerns/ questions are... can I use this WAN connection to take the internet from next door like I am hoping?

If I do this will they be able to access our network and us theirs or is there a way of putting an access block on the WAN line?

Finally how do I get VOiP on the AX? At home my BT Homehub router acts as a phone base station and you can register any number of cordless handsets to it. Can I do something similar with the AX or...

can I plug my BT Homehub into the AX via LAN and use VOiP that way?

Sorry for many questions though I greatly appreciate any advice.

HReily

MacBook 5,1, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 1:58 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2009 2:33 AM in response to Duane

Ha ha, yes I suppose so except my neighbour is our sister company and I am going to have to run a cable into the back of their BT business router so they might get a little suspicious if they didn't know me!!

I understand you can 'steal' the internet via wireless except we need the connection to be as fast as possible so I was going to run a cable.

Sep 2, 2009 5:29 AM in response to HReily

You posted in the AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS) discussion area but you refer to AirPort Express (AX). Which one do you have?

My concerns/ questions are... can I use this WAN connection to take the internet from next door like I am hoping?

Yes

If I do this will they be able to access our network and us theirs or is there a way of putting an access block on the WAN line?

If you configure the base station to share a single IP address they won't be able to access your network directly. However they would be able to monitor the Ethernet connection and intercept and view any traffic from your network.

You would be able to see their network.

Finally how do I get VOiP on the AX?

None of Apple's base stations have any special ability to handle VoIP. The VoIP data would travel through the base station just like any other piece of digital data.

At home my BT Homehub router acts as a phone base station and you can register any number of cordless handsets to it. Can I do something similar with the AX or...

No

can I plug my BT Homehub into the AX via LAN and use VOiP that way?

I have no clue.

Sep 4, 2009 4:19 AM in response to Duane

Thank you for this.

Apologies my AE/AX lingo got a little confused. I AM using the Airport Extreme.

You say I have to configure my base station to share a single IP address. Is this simple and in the instructions? If not can I ask how do you set this up.

I am not worried about them seeing our Ethernet usage. Is there a way so that we cannot see their network also?

I will look further into the VOiP situation.

Many thanks

H

Sep 4, 2009 7:41 AM in response to HReily

You say I have to configure my base station to share a single IP address. Is this simple and in the instructions? If not can I ask how do you set this up.

This is simple and the default setting. You will probably see "double NAT" warning messages since you are on a local network and the AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS) is providing local IP addresses.

User uploaded file

Is there a way so that we cannot see their network also?

Sorry but no. Since you will be a subnet of their network, you will see their network.

WAN Remote Office Network Setup with VOiP using AX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.