Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother HL-2170W

I have had the hardest time getting this printer to work. I installed Snow Leopard - and when I go to add new printer - no list is available under the default tab. I am using a USB connection between the printer and the computer.

When I go try and print something, says, no printer selected. I go to add printer - and there is no list in the right of available printer drivers. I went and downloaded the Apple Snow Leopard print drivers for Brother. Still, nothing is listed.

Please help - I bought this printer 6 months ago - I could not get it to print then - and now I cannot even get Brother (or any other) print driver in the list.

Thanks so much.

Rob

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 4:44 PM

I have a Brother 2170W and I can print over USB just fine with the drivers that came on disk with Snow Leopard. Try to make sure the printer is turned on and connected correctly.

Does it show up in the System Profiler (Apple menu -> About This Mac -> "More Info" button)?

Under the USB section of the System Profile, if you don't see the device then there is something wrong with your USB connection or the printer isn't functioning correctly.
52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2009 4:44 PM in response to Butterbuns

I have a Brother 2170W and I can print over USB just fine with the drivers that came on disk with Snow Leopard. Try to make sure the printer is turned on and connected correctly.

Does it show up in the System Profiler (Apple menu -> About This Mac -> "More Info" button)?

Under the USB section of the System Profile, if you don't see the device then there is something wrong with your USB connection or the printer isn't functioning correctly.

Sep 12, 2009 10:10 PM in response to Butterbuns

Good luck Butterbuns,

I've got the same printer but I'm sitting on my 10.6 disk. I'm too cowardly to upgrade until it looks like the bugs have been worked out. So I'll be monitoring this post as I'd really like my printer to work wirelessly.

Checking the Brother website I did find this: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/003900/d lf003972.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl2170w_all&type2=1&os=94&flang=4&dlid=dl f003972

It's the latest CUPS driver for the HL-2170 released 9/10/09. But I don't actually know what a CUPS driver is 🙂. Point is though that it is for 10.6 and for our printer.

Good luck,

Bear

Sep 18, 2009 5:45 PM in response to Butterbuns

For what it's worth, I have two Brother HL-2170W printers in two locations, from which I print with one MacBook Pro. In both instances, the printer is connected by Ethernet to an Airport Time Capsule so I'm accessing the printer wirelessly (but not using the printer's native wireless capability). Lately I've noticed the inconsistent behavior noted in this thread - can't print when selected or printer doesn't show up when trying to re-add it via System Preferences. Following a tip provided by a previous poster, I read the Snow Leopard driver instructions from Brother and tried unplugging the printer from both power and Time Capsule, then plugging them both back in. Viola! I'm able to print again. I have not installed Snow Leopard yet, though.

Sep 20, 2009 2:02 AM in response to Bear23

Hi there,
working on 10.6 and lost all printing possibilities (neither wireless nor network).
Downloaded the drivers from the brother site but still doesn't work. That's a real shame- since I'm quite new to Mac: can we expect any OS-X updates fixing this issue or do I have to browse around and find the solution......?

Sep 21, 2009 6:28 AM in response to Butterbuns

Butterbuns,

I wish I could help you. All I can now do is report on my success. I had sat on my disk of Snow Kitty waiting to see if any more bugs could be worked out. Well last night I took the plunge. And the ONLY problem I had was that my default printer became my DYMO (label printer) instead of my Brother HL-2170W and I didn't notice at first.

So on the first test print, I clicked print and waited for the Brother to spool up . . . then my DYMO came to life and out came to labels with just a few words on them printed sideways 🙂

Well it's pretty easy to reset Default to my Brother.

I don't know why you (or anyone else) is having problems.

I am printing via the wifi, and I did NOT update the driver from the brother site. I did note that after the upgrade I gave permission for software update to do it's thing. And I noticed the sign go by, "updating brother driver", so I suppose the updater did it for me. Don't know for sure.

Good luck,

Bear

Sep 25, 2009 4:02 AM in response to Butterbuns

I was able to resolve this issue in Snow Leopard 6.0.1 by doing the following:

1. Download the latest driver from Brother.
2. Reset the network settings on the printer by switching off, holding 'Go', powering on, and pressing go 7 times.
3. Connect via adhoc to printer, SSID 'SETUP'.
4. Add it as a new printer.
5. Go into Printer Settings, connect via Web Portal.
6. Reconfigure TCP/IP settings (these can be left blank for DHCP).
7. Configure Wireless to connect to your router (enter its SSID and encryption settings, if any.)
8. Printer will re-establish a connection to the router if everything has been setup ok.
9. Return to printer settings panel and print a test page.

This worked for me, but whether it is certainly a Snow Leopard issue or mere coincidence, I am uncertain.

Jan 10, 2010 5:30 PM in response to Inquisitive

I'm don't know what to tell ya. But I can only say that I am connecting wirelessly to my 2170 printer. It's not plugged into I router either. Nor have I had any problems with it since I upgraded.

Was your printer working before your upgrade? I suppose I'm assuming that you just upgraded as opposed to either a new mac or a new printer. I ask because I wonder if you have a problem with installation or setup of the printer. It's been awhile since I first installed it, but I do recall it being a little tricky at first.

Good luck,

Bear

Brother HL-2170W

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.