Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot search "Entire Message" content in Snow Leopard

SL is generally running fine, but there is a problem in Mail. When I search, I can select From, To, and Subject, but Entire Message is grayed out and inaccessible. I need to search message content, so this will not do.

2008 Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8 GHz + 2007 MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6), 10 GB RAM in the Pro, 3 GB RAM in the MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2009 7:19 PM

make sure that the mail folder in your homedirectory is not excluded from spotlight searches. check Spotlight's privacy pane in spotlight system preferences. what's there?
19 replies

Sep 2, 2009 10:14 AM in response to philipegberts

I am having the same issue. "Entire Message" is greyed out and cannot be selected. I checked and nothing is being hidden from indexing.

I even used the mdutil to turn it off and on to make sure that it reset it. That was when "Entire Message" greyed out. Prior it was there but didn't work. Searches were taking forever.

Now they are also taking exceedingly long times when searching in the From/To fields as well.

Thoughts?

Sep 2, 2009 10:37 AM in response to ashealey

Followup...

I had previously had WideMail installed. It should just be disabled in Mail under Snow Leopard. However, I downloaded it again and used the Installer Dmg to Uninstall the program.

"Entire Message" is now selectable again.

However, the performance is horrible. Searching through my Gmail Inbox which only has around 200 messages takes several minutes. The other searches seem to have reasonable performance.

Now honestly... this makes no sense to me. There doesn't seem to be a logical connection between the two. However, those were the steps and that was the result. It seems more likely that something else changed in the background while Mail was down.

Message was edited by: ashealey

Sep 8, 2009 9:38 AM in response to Gary P

I'm also experiencing this problem. Nothing is being skipped by spotlight in the privacy pane.

I can confirm that it must be an indexing issue because if I mouseover the "Entire Message" option, I see the popup message:

"Entire Message" search is not available because Spotlight is unable to index /DriveName/Users/UserName/Library/Mail.

Thanks,

Dave

Sep 14, 2009 10:52 PM in response to superdave98

Thanks for the suggestions. I had the same problem. I didn't need to go through the five "fixing spotlight" steps. The first one worked just fine:

• Launch ‘Activity Monitor’ (located in /Applications/Utilities/)
• Locate the process ‘SystemUIServer’, highlight it, and click the red button “Quit Process”
• Within a few seconds the menubar will rebuild itself and often Spotlight will magically work

Cannot search "Entire Message" content in Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.