Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repair disk, is it necessary?

I want to jump from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I've bought the software, now I'm just hesitant to install it.
Do I need to repair my hard drive first using the tool in disk utility? I've verified the drive, fixed all permissions, but there was something like "First aid failed"
----------------------------------------------------------------

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Illegal name
Checking multi-linked files.
,0)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
@ needs to be repaired.",1)

Macintosh HD
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

1) What does that ^ mean? How can I fix it?
2) I want to go through the 'upgrade OS' mode without a clean installation. Will I encounter any problems given the situation?
3) What if something goes wrong mid-way, do I still have Tiger with all my files?
4) Am I just being paranoid?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11),  Classic • Nano  iPhone 3G

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 8:26 AM

24 replies

Sep 2, 2009 8:39 AM in response to Ninda

Ninda wrote:
I want to jump from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I've bought the software, now I'm just hesitant to install it.
Do I need to repair my hard drive first using the tool in disk utility? I've verified the drive, fixed all permissions, but there was something like "First aid failed"

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Illegal name
,0)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
@ needs to be repaired.",1)

Macintosh HD
Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

1) What does that ^ mean? How can I fix it?

you need to boot from the tiger install disk and repair the main drive using disk utility (it's available from Utilities menu).
2) I want to go through the 'upgrade OS' mode without a clean installation. Will I encounter any problems given the situation?

you very well might. do not try to install Snow leopard without repairing your drive first.
3) What if something goes wrong mid-way, do I still have Tiger with all my files?

Snow leopard installer is supposed to be able to back out of the installation and give you your old system back if something goes wrong midinstall. but you can't count on that if you have problems with your drive.
4) Am I just being paranoid?

no. in fact, you are not being paranoid enough. even if your drive is fixed you should not proceed with SL install without making a full backup of your current system. things can and often do go wrong when you install a new OS. even if it installs correctly you may discover that you want to go back to Tiger at least for a while if some of your software or hardware hasn't been updated yet for snow leopard and isn't working properly. make a bootable clone of your current system using Superduper or CCCloner. test to make sure that it works. THEN install Snow leopard.

Sep 2, 2009 8:51 AM in response to Ninda

When you boot from the SL DVD, before proceeding to install, go to UTILITY menu and select Disk Utility.

REPAIR drive. That will perform "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required."

And that was after I made a backup, reformatted with 10.5.8, and restored.

Also, there is still enough trouble with 20 yr old HFS+ that 3rd party disk repair utilities are a must.

Tiger is too old to be of much use or value. Formats and partition tables have changed in the 4 years since its introduction.

Sep 2, 2009 8:53 AM in response to Ninda

Ninda:

Disk Utility reports "Underlying task reported failure" when repairing a volume is a serious directory error which Disk Utility cannot repair. Try the remedies suggested in the article linked above. If they do not work you may need to use a utility like Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior. In some cases the problem may be hardware based such as a failing HDD. Here's what I suggest:
• Backup/clone your computer
• Try the suggestions in the article linked
• Download and run SMART Utility - 2.0.2 to check your HDD.
• Boot form the Apple Hardware Test disk and run the extended test in a loop (hold down Ctrl + L during tests). Let is run for a while as intermittent issues may take time to surface.
• If all of the above fail use one of the utilities linked.

😉 cornelius

Sep 2, 2009 9:00 AM in response to V.K.

V.K. wrote:
insert your tiger install disk, reboot and hold "c" at the chime. you will boot into Tiger installer. start disk utility from Utilities menu. when you are done with disk repair, quit disk utility and then quit the installer. this will reboot you back to your main drive.

I couldn't find my Tiger install disk, I bought this mbp 3 years ago I think. Is there anyway to repair without the disc?

Thanks for being patient.

Sep 2, 2009 9:04 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:
When you boot from the SL DVD, before proceeding to install, go to UTILITY menu and select Disk Utility.

REPAIR drive. That will perform "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required."

And that was after I made a backup, reformatted with 10.5.8, and restored.

Also, there is still enough trouble with 20 yr old HFS+ that 3rd party disk repair utilities are a must.

Tiger is too old to be of much use or value. Formats and partition tables have changed in the 4 years since its introduction.

When I do exactly that, will it erase everything so I have a clean drive ready for installation?

Sep 2, 2009 9:14 AM in response to Ninda

If you want - and I would - start with a fresh install, click on the hard drive name, not the volume name, and click ERASE. Then install.

You can use Migration Assistant if you made a backup clone with SD or CCC later to import back. Or consider this a good opportunity to prune and selectively merge. I'd install any program you need.

I saw people with Leopard problems that had not erased or formatted in years clean up and run right after full erase too.

Sep 2, 2009 9:32 AM in response to cornelius

cornelius wrote:
Ninda:

Disk Utility reports "Underlying task reported failure" when repairing a volume is a serious directory error which Disk Utility cannot repair. Try the remedies suggested in the article linked above. If they do not work you may need to use a utility like Tech Tool Pro or Disk Warrior. In some cases the problem may be hardware based such as a failing HDD. Here's what I suggest:
• Backup/clone your computer
• Try the suggestions in the article linked
• Download and run SMART Utility - 2.0.2 to check your HDD.
• Boot form the Apple Hardware Test disk and run the extended test in a loop (hold down Ctrl + L during tests). Let is run for a while as intermittent issues may take time to surface.
• If all of the above fail use one of the utilities linked.

😉 cornelius

Haha oh wow. That was overwhelming.

{quote}1 )Try using fsck in single user mode, or start up your computer from a different volume before verifying or repairing.{quote}

Okay I'm currently reading up on fsck, and it scares me. If I were to run that line and repair the volume until its OK + reboot. That will fix the drive? Does it clean it too? What if it doesn't fix the drive? What happens next?
{quote}2) Back up as much of your important data and files as you can, then try using a third-party disk utility to repair the drive. Be sure that you use one that works with your version of Mac OS X.{quote}

I have SuperDuper. How do I create a backup that will be bootable when I do finally decide to restore after everything is fixed?
ALSO, I'm looking through the different 3rd party softwares you mentioned: TechtoolPro, DiskWarrior, SMART utility - I would like to buy 1 of them tonight. Which one do you recommend? and what do I do with them?
{quote}3) Back up as much of your important data and files as you can, then perform an Erase and Install installation of Mac OS X on the affected volume. {quote}

Will I install tiger or snow leopard?

Thank you cornellius. 🙂

Sep 2, 2009 9:51 AM in response to Ninda

Ninda:
Haha oh wow. That was overwhelming.

Well, you have a pretty serious directory problem that may be hardware based. You don't want to be underwhelmed.
Okay I'm currently reading up on fsck, and it scares me. If I were to run that line and repair the volume until its OK + reboot. That will fix the drive?

Yes, it will repair the formatted and installed volume on your HDD. I make the distinction from the drive as the drive or Hard Disk Drive is hardware. The volume is a electronic structure installed on the HDD. So even if you are able to repair the Directory, if there is an underlying hardware issue with the HDD, the HDD is not repaired.
Does it clean it too?

Not sure what you mean by clean it. It means that your directory is repaired, and you can go ahead and upgrade your OS.
What if it doesn't fix the drive? What happens next?

If fsck does not repair your volume, the you will need to run one of the utilities I linked earlier. I would also run the hardware checks to be sure that there is not a hardware element involved, because if there is, your directory will become corrupted again, and you will be back where you started.
Will I install tiger or snow leopard?

If that is where you are headed anyway, after you have backed up, I would completely reformat and erase the HDD (post back for directions, if needed), then install Snow Leo from disk, and migrate your stuff from the backup/clone.

😉 cornelius

Sep 2, 2009 10:26 AM in response to Ninda

Ninda wrote:
When I create the backup and migrate to the new OS, will that bring the problems I've been having now with the repair and everything?

not the problems with the filesystem you see reported by verify disk. but you may have problems making a backup if the file system is damaged. Superduper or CCCloner may choke if you try to use them on a file with a damaged file system.
I would suggest you first try to repair the drive from Snow leopard disk. if that works make a backup and upgrade. if it doesn't work then I would try making a backup anyway, hoping that it works. if it does, boot from the SL DVD, repartition the entire drive. this will wipe it and will also fix the file system errors. then verify disk and if it reports no errors proceed with the install. after it's finished you can imprt your data from the backup using Migration Assistant.
Or is that solely a hardware thing? If it is a hardware thing, am I doomed? What do I do to fix it?

Sep 2, 2009 12:46 PM in response to V.K.

On http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1901 it says that...

*_Disk Utility reports "Underlying task reported failure" when repairing a volume_*
For Mac OS X 10.4.6 or earlier: If you have Adobe Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Illustrator CS2 installed, try removing the following files:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS2/Legal.localized/Tiê�?ng Việt.html
/Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS2/Legal.localized/Tiê�?ng Việt.html

Apparently I have those files. They're on trash since 2006. And it never went away! How do I finally remove it because emptying trash never worked?

Repair disk, is it necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.