Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7, boot camp 3.0 sound issues

okay, I'm using windows 7, and bootcamp 3.0 that came with snow leopard,
but the sound is all bubly and weird, from the moment I install windows.
It doesn't happen with other versions of windows, just windows 7.
I've tried reinstalling both the opperating sstem and bootcamp drivers.
What can I do to fix it???

iMac8,1, 20" aluminum, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 2:35 PM

15 replies

Oct 29, 2009 2:27 PM in response to mikecorp

mikecorp wrote:
I have problems with them. I downloaded the realtek drivers, but 7 always screamed it is not supported ..etc.
Which one should I download? http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

it is bit complicated.

I have the same problem, and I saw the word "High Definition" when I checked the system properties in Win7. I'm gonna download it and see if it works, I'll let you know if I get the sound working.

Oct 29, 2009 2:38 PM in response to _Eric_

Ok that fixed the sound. But the weird thing is the sound only comes out of the built-in speakers. The sound won't come out of my external speakers (which are much louder). Eventhought they're plugged in, the sound doesn't get bypassed from the built-in ones, it's really weird. Oh well, at least the sounds works 🙂

Oct 29, 2009 7:41 PM in response to mikecorp

mikecorp wrote:
you need to install the bootcamp. I did try everything before, but without the bootcamp it is just bad.

Right now everything works amazingly fast.

Pity that Apple doesn't have games.

???
Bootcamp is installed... I used bootcamp to partition the drive in the first place, and I used the Mac OS disc to install all the drivers and bootcamp on the Windows side.

The sound works, but does NOT recognize devices plugged into the headphones jack.

Oct 31, 2009 1:53 PM in response to _Eric_

I posted this to multiple forums. I have tried just about everything that I can think of and that the Apple guru's have suggested. I am calling out to the masses once again to see if your creative minds can help lead me to a solution:

Problem/Issue:

Total of 46 iMac8,1 (summer/late 2008 build) - Dual Boot OSX and Windows
XPSP3, with Bootcamp 2.1 driver set. This issue only occurs when
booted up in Windows. Audio works fine through the internal
speaker; however, when one plugs in a headphone into the headphone
jack the internal speaker does not turn off, the sound is not piped
through the headphones, and, when looking at the device manager
interface, the headphones are seen as being plugged into the Line-in
port. When plugging the headphones into the Line-in port, nothing
is registered. I have posted to several forums and queried the Apple gurus.

What I have tried:
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled Bootcamp set - no change
- Booted into OSX, toggled sound on/off, plugged/unplugged
headphone jack (all fine), booted back to Windows - no change
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled with Older Bootcamp set - blue screen
- Uninstall/Reinstalled with Bootcamp 3.x set - no change, but NO
blue screen (whew!)
- Fresh Windows XP install with Bootcamp 3.x set - no change
- Fresh Windows 7 install with Bootcamp 3.x set - no change
- Multiple versions of Realtek audio drivers (5.x and 6.0.1x)
- <sad face>Jumped up and down, got red in the face and cursed
countless obsenitites at the workstation - alas...no change </sad face>

If anyone has an idea, or suggestion??? I'm on the verge of making Apple buy back 50 computers and shopping with Dell.

Oct 31, 2009 2:50 PM in response to dakrith

I had the same problem with my imamac 27 end XP w bootcamp. There was a topic for this but I dont know why a "moderato" decided that the problem was solved and closed it when the "solution" was using old sound drivers and a old patch.

I solved it on my imac 27 bootcamp simply by palyng arround with the options in control panels - sound: There were two devices for playback and recording:
- Ati HD Audio Rear Output.
- Cirrus Logic HD Audio

Well, all I did was choose the second one (Cirrus) for both playback and recording, and then check the empty box(es) Line in and/or DPDIF and/or Mic, under recording.

Once again: CIRRUS. Forget ATI. Check all the boxes. All 4 boxes in playback and all 3 boxes in recording. And the sound is back. Hope it helps for those with this problem in W7.

Wich, by the way I coul not install on bootcamp I've tried a couple of times with a couple of releases but it allways frozen at samepoint with dark screen. Is there a trick to make it work. Is there a release that works? Thosse I've tried with were MDSN (or something like it) Diod you guys used a "legal"-in the box version?

Moderators: before kicking me think twice when you decide that a problem is solved or not. Take a look at this: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1467588

This is not a solution. It´s a workarround. Leave the topic open until Apple solves the problem. I bought a 1500 euros machine and I want it to work pefectly. Not with tape, glue and ropes all arround!

I am sorry if I go agains't any of the forum rules but it´s the first time I write here and I use Apple computers since my first performa 6400. And there is one think called freedoom of expresssion.

Nov 16, 2009 10:12 PM in response to paulcotter

paulcotter wrote:
I posted this to multiple forums. I have tried just about everything that I can think of and that the Apple guru's have suggested. I am calling out to the masses once again to see if your creative minds can help lead me to a solution:

Problem/Issue:

Total of 46 iMac8,1 (summer/late 2008 build) - Dual Boot OSX and Windows
XPSP3, with Bootcamp 2.1 driver set. This issue only occurs when
booted up in Windows. Audio works fine through the internal
speaker; however, when one plugs in a headphone into the headphone
jack the internal speaker does not turn off, the sound is not piped
through the headphones, and, when looking at the device manager
interface, the headphones are seen as being plugged into the Line-in
port. When plugging the headphones into the Line-in port, nothing
is registered. I have posted to several forums and queried the Apple gurus.

What I have tried:
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled Bootcamp set - no change
- Booted into OSX, toggled sound on/off, plugged/unplugged
headphone jack (all fine), booted back to Windows - no change
- Uninstalled/Reinstalled with Older Bootcamp set - blue screen
- Uninstall/Reinstalled with Bootcamp 3.x set - no change, but NO
blue screen (whew!)
- Fresh Windows XP install with Bootcamp 3.x set - no change
- Fresh Windows 7 install with Bootcamp 3.x set - no change
- Multiple versions of Realtek audio drivers (5.x and 6.0.1x)
- <sad face>Jumped up and down, got red in the face and cursed
countless obsenitites at the workstation - alas...no change </sad face>

If anyone has an idea, or suggestion??? I'm on the verge of making Apple buy back 50 computers and shopping with Dell.

Well I'm having the same problem, I have several labs dual booted into windows and this is a great inconvenience, Please has anyone solved this problem ?

Nov 20, 2009 5:12 PM in response to dakrith

I must add my new 27" iMac running Win 7 to the sound problem. I have no audio. Win 7 complains that the Cirrus driver installed is the wrong one. RealTek was inaccessible because its drivers were all not found or not responding in Safari.

I don't know what to try next. I suspect we have to wait until Apple's new Boot Camp drivers for Win 7 are published.

Nov 21, 2009 7:13 AM in response to dakrith

just installed boot camp yesterday on my new imac i7 with windows 7 and had the same issue at first. what I did was just reinstalled the drivers directly off of the apple driver disk manually rather then rerunning the disk. I used the realtek drivers and now it is working great using my mini tos optical cable playing 5.1 through my receiver. I hav rebooted about 10 times and it is still working great.

Nov 21, 2009 12:01 PM in response to serevis

I manually reinstalled the Realtek driver from the 10.6.2 DVD. And I had to disable and delete the Cirrus Logic driver. Windows 7 seems to agree with what I have done when it flagged the finding and enabling of new hardware.

The result was my Win7 sound seems to do all the right things and the speakers are active except I still have no sound from the 27" iMac's built in speakers. It looks as if all the hardware wiring is correct but the volume may be turned down somewhere. Even doing the audio tests by clicking the diagramatic speakers produces the animated depictions of sound being emitted. Still no audio. No improvement.

I seem to be ever so close but I don't understand what is still missing. Still trying.

Nov 21, 2009 1:26 PM in response to Pedro

The Realtek HD Audio driver on the 10.6.2 DVD appears to be exactly the same version as Realtek's own driver except that Realtek call's their driver Vista/Win7. I am using the downloaded one. No improvement. It looks like these drivers are correct for Win7 on Intel Macs. My i7 iMac appears incapable of using them even though all the indications in Win7 say that it is working.

I believe I have done everything possible, tested every configuration and setting. Nothing works.

I can only come to one conclusion: There is no Win7 sound driver that works for i7 iMacs even when the Realtek HD driver looks like it is doing all the right things.

Is it only the iMac's built-in speakers that don't work? Those are the speakers that I want to work. I don't plan on adding external speakers. That defeats the purpose of an all-in-one Mac.

There is nothing more I can try. Waiting for Apple's promised Win7 drivers ..........

Nov 21, 2009 2:59 PM in response to Pedro

I plugged in a USB headset. I have sound!!!

So it looks like the Realtek HD driver is okay. Use the driver from the BootCamp set on the DVD or get it from Realtek. Makes no difference.

So there's the problem on my iMac/i7:-

USB speakers work but hardwired internal speakers don't. Why is this? Seems a bit like my iMac needs a Firmware update. Apple?

Windows 7, boot camp 3.0 sound issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.