Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows XP update to support WPA2 on Broadcom driver

The problem was after installing XP-SP2 using Bootcamp on my MacBook Pro, I could not connect to the router which was running WPA2 and AES. When I set up a profile in the Windows Wireless Connection properties, it gave me the choice of WPA or WPA-PSK (we are using pre-shared key) but not WPA2 or WPA2-PSK. Since those options are available in my Mac OS X v10.5.7 I knew the hardware was capable. I got pretty upset with the tech guy at Apple telling me that if the driver supplied with the Mac OSX disk didn't work that it was a Microsoft Windows issue. I thought he was copping out on me. Turns out he was correct, there is an update that needs to be installed before XP-SP2 will work with WPA2, named: WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU. This driver can be downloaded and installed from: http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details.aspx?familyid=662BB74D-E7C1-48D6-95EE -1459234F4483&displaylang=en

First you will have to click on Continue and run a small program that verifies your copy of Windows is genuine, then it lets you download the update file. Click Run to install the update and when finished it will ask you to reboot. Like magic, when I went back into my Wireless Connection properties, there was WPA2 and WPA2-PSK. I had to remove the original profile and set it up again (we have the ssid set not to broadcast) then it came on and works fine.

I owe the original tech support person an apology for being so negative; unfortunately there was no way to go back and figure out who that was. If you read this Mr. Support Guy, please accept my apology!

macbook pro, Windows XP Pro, bootcamp

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 6:34 PM

1 reply

Sep 2, 2009 6:37 PM in response to kcomst

I should add that without the update the Broadcom wireless adapter works fine with standard WPA or WPA-PSK but just did not have the WPA2 and WPA2-PSK options, which is how I had my router set up. There are 4 of us living here that share the router and did not want to have to reconfigure for WPA because of this issue.

Windows XP update to support WPA2 on Broadcom driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.