Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring My Ipod

I need to restore my ipod....Which is a pain since we own 5 ipods. My problem with that is that I have toooooo many songs, videos, movies, and apps in my itunes account, since each one of us has different taste, specially with the kids. So I wanted to know which program you recommend so that I can back up my ipod touch and get the items back in it without having to pick and choose each song out of over 3000 possible choices. I have Podmaxx on our computer as requested by my oldest who's only 12, but she doesn't know if it works good or not, but she liked it because she can create her own ringtones...Please help, I don't want to just download something online and end up with the same headache of choosing one by one.

Thanks

HP Pavilion

Posted on Sep 2, 2009 7:05 PM

3 replies

Sep 3, 2009 3:27 AM in response to Confused In Aberdeen

five ipods and one itunes library? wow. sounds like a major operation.

this might not help you right now. but you do know you can have different itunes libraries on your computer? hold the shift key while itunes is loading up and you will get options to create a new library or select a different one. next time you load up itunes the last library opened will load, so you will need to use shift to switch between them.

OR you could keep different playlists for each iPod and just sync that playlist. i have more music than i want on my iPod, so i have playlists 'On iPod' and 'not on iPod' and just sync 'on ipod'

there are many threads with 'ipod to computer' suggestions on them, just use the search discussions box, i'm sure you'll find an answer.

Sep 3, 2009 11:38 AM in response to Anna Sandham

Wow I had no Idea that I could create a library for each. Now would they still be linked to the same Itunes Account though?

What about music that we purchase on itunes will it automatically download to the other library or only on the one that is open.

Then you say I can shift between libraries, how does that work? Meaning if I already have a library open, how do I navigate to a different one.

But yeah having 5 ipods in one household is good, but it definately has it's drawbacks. Specially since we didn't realize we can make separate libraries.

Now can I move music, videos and apps from one library to another?

Thanks for your help.

Sep 3, 2009 12:53 PM in response to Confused In Aberdeen

as far as i know you can copy anything to different libraries. and i don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to connect them to the same itunes account.
i haven't really done it properly (only needing to manage one iPod on my computer).

all your music etc. will be stored on your computer (just gathered and organised in iTunes). usually under 'music > itunes' just add it to the different libraries, either by dragging and dropping from the folder it is stored in, OR by going to 'File > Add File/Add Folder' in iTunes.

as far as i know you will need to exit itunes to switch libraries, and follow the 'holding shift' process

Restoring My Ipod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.