Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to back up?

I want to jump from tiger to snow leopard. I wanted to just do the upgrade option on top of tiger but people have been saying that I should erase and do a clean install.

I'm in the process of creating some backups now with SuperDuper.
Do I need to backup everything? I only want some of my applications, all of my photos+music etc are all on external drives already.
Do I need to backup /system, /private, /library? Can I just backup /Users?
When I do create the backup, do I create a disk image? Or just transfer to another drive?
How will this work with migration assistant?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11),  Classic • Nano  iPhone 3G

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 6:43 AM

10 replies

Sep 3, 2009 6:54 AM in response to Ninda

I want to jump from tiger to snow leopard. I wanted to just do the upgrade option on top of tiger but people have been saying that I should erase and do a clean install.

That may not be necessary, but the backup issues you mention should be addressed regardless. See my [Mac Backup Guide|http://www.reedcorner.net/thomas/guides/backups> for more info.

Do I need to backup everything?

When doing a major upgrade like this, it is generally a good idea to have a complete backup of everything on your boot drive. That way, if there are incompatibilities with old hardware/software, if something goes wrong and the system gets damaged, etc, you have a quick and easy way to restore to the previous state.

I only want some of my applications

Note that you should have copies of installers for all apps that require one. If you are going to go to the trouble of doing a clean install, you should reinstall apps from scratch. If you copy apps over from the old system, it's no longer a completely clean install.

all of my photos+music etc are all on external drives already.

Do you have a backup of all those things? Not that it's particularly relevant to a system upgrade, but you should not fool yourself into thinking that just because they're on an external drive, they're safe. If that drive fails, you need to be prepared or you'll loose all that stuff.

When I do create the backup, do I create a disk image? Or just transfer to another drive?

I would avoid disk images. One teeny bit of corruption and the whole thing becomes unusable. If you're using SuperDuper, just have it copy the files to the backup drive.

How will this work with migration assistant?

If you use something like SuperDuper to create a "clone" of your boot drive (meaning an exact copy on another drive), then I would think Migration Assistant could help import data from there into the new system. After all, there's no difference between that and your boot disk, except for physical location. OTOH, if you tell it to copy everything into a folder on an external drive, it wouldn't look the same as a boot drive and MA might fail. Just be cautious with what you import using MA... again, if you do a clean install and then import all your apps and settings from the old system, you've wasted the time it took to do the clean install. You might as well have just installed over the old system.

Sep 3, 2009 11:21 AM in response to Ninda

What to back up?

Everything. A *bootable clone* of your entire hard drive to an external FireWire drive, at least once a week or even every day, and especially just before you start installing any new version of the Mac OS.

Not with Time Machine, Time Machine can't do complete bootable backups.

Do it with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper.

That way you'll have a complete clone of your hard drive as it was just before you started installling the new OS.

IF anything goes wrong or you're not happy, in a matter of seconds you can reboot from your external drive and either keep on working, or clone everything back to the way it was before.

You won't need to look for the right things to copy, or re-install any software. It will all be on the clone, in the right place, and connected to everything else in the correct way.

Sep 3, 2009 11:34 AM in response to Tom in London

IF anything goes wrong or you're not happy, in a matter of seconds you can reboot from your external drive and either keep on working, or clone everything back to the way it was before.

It is an extremely bad idea to work from your only backup if something goes wrong with the primary system... that's essentially the same as having no backup at all. A backup isn't a backup if it becomes the only copy! Only work while booted from your backup if you have multiple backups. (I'd consider two backups to be the minimum you should ever have.)

Sep 3, 2009 1:11 PM in response to thomas_r.

Standard Scripts/Backup - all files.dset
| 06:34:48 PM | Info | /
| 06:34:51 PM | Info | /cores
| 06:34:51 PM | Info | /.Trashes
| 06:34:51 PM | Info | /automount
| 06:34:51 PM | Info | /Users
| 06:45:20 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(2): No such file or directory
| 06:45:20 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /Users/ALEXIS/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/ALEXIS/My >Videos, lstat(): 0
| 06:45:20 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: >/Volumes/Untitled/Users/ALEXIS/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/ALEXIS/My Videos, lstat(): -1
| 06:45:20 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 06:45:20 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using ditto.
| 06:45:20 PM | Error | ditto: can't get real path for source

When I tried to make a backup, it always failed, with that log above ^.

I couldn't find the file or folder, do you know where it might be?
What is this wine/drive_c/windows/profiles?
How do I fix it?

What to back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.