Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents gone. Folder empty?

Upgraded smoothly, all apps working fine, it's faster now, etc. I'm very happy in general.

However when I browse the /User/Documents/ folder, it's empty!
1) Why is it empty? All other folders had files in them and I can open them no problem.
2) How do I retrieve the files that were on Documents?
3) I saw that I had more memory, did osx delete my Documents folder during installation?
4) I have my backup that I made with CCC. I checked the Documents folde, they was fine before the installation, it had all the files, but now it's empty. Why? How?

It's only that folder that I have a problem with.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6),  Classic • Nano  iPhone 3G

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 10:15 PM

13 replies

Sep 3, 2009 10:21 PM in response to Ninda

Ninda,

Well, the first obvious thing that comes to mind is: Can you find any of the files known to have been in the Documents folder using Spotlight? If so, where is the file located? Are all the rest of the contents that were once in Documents in the same location?

If you search and still come up empty, there is at least one other thing I can think of to try. Post back and let us know.

Scott

Sep 3, 2009 10:26 PM in response to Scott Radloff

Scott Radloff wrote:
Ninda,

Well, the first obvious thing that comes to mind is: Can you find any of the files known to have been in the Documents folder using Spotlight? If so, where is the file located? Are all the rest of the contents that were once in Documents in the same location?

If you search and still come up empty, there is at least one other thing I can think of to try. Post back and let us know.

Scott

Yeah the first thing I did was the spotlight search of the files that were in Documents. Had no results. Both on Mac HD and backup.

Sep 3, 2009 10:33 PM in response to Ninda

Ninda,

OK. Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal. At the prompt, copy and paste the text below into the Terminal window, followed by a <RETURN>:

<pre style="overflow:auto; font-family: 'Monaco'; font-size: 10px">sudo ls -ale ~/Documents</pre>

When you press <RETURN>, you will be asked for your admin password. Enter it (it will not be echoed), then again press <RETURN>. Please post the entire results from this command, including the command itself.

Scott

Sep 3, 2009 10:36 PM in response to Scott Radloff

MAC:~ Ninda$ sudo ls -ale ~/Documents

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 Ninda Ninda 136 3 Sep 14:50 .
0: group:everyone deny delete
drwxr-xr-x+ 1479 Ninda Ninda 50286 4 Sep 05:14 ..
0: group:everyone deny delete
-rw-r--r-- 1 Ninda Ninda 0 3 Sep 03:57 .localized
drwxr-xr-x 4 Ninda Ninda 136 3 Sep 10:20 Microsoft User Data

-----------------------
what does that mean?

Sep 3, 2009 10:43 PM in response to Ninda

Ninda,

Hmmm, that's interesting. Well, it appears that you have a "Microsoft User Data" folder in there, at any rate. Can you see it in the Finder?

However, the info you have posted reveals a weeee little problem. You just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and from a Leopard that had been upgraded from Tiger. All with your HOME folder in place. The problem is that your HOME folder- and all of the files, all of the folders within it- has retained just a little "Tigerness" (yes, that's a real word!!).

Please go back to Terminal. Copy and paste the line below, followed by a <RETURN>:

<pre style="overflow:auto; font-family: 'Monaco'; font-size: 10px">id</pre>

Please post the results from this command, including the command itself.

Scott

Sep 3, 2009 10:47 PM in response to Scott Radloff

I see the "Microsoft User Data" folder on finder, it was there because I fired up messenger just now.
--------------------------
MAC:~ Ninda$ id
uid=501(Ninda) gid=501(Ninda) groups=501(Ninda),204( developer),100(_lpoperator),98(_lpadmin),81(_appserveradm),80(admin),79(_appserv erusr),61(localaccounts),12(everyone),401(com.apple.accessscreensharing)
--------------------------

How do fix that "tigerness"?
I went from Tiger straight to Snow Leopard.

Sep 3, 2009 11:17 PM in response to Ninda

Ninda,

Were there previously any other files or folders in the "Documents" folder other than this "Microsoft Users" folder? Did the Microsoft Users folder appear before you opened Messenger? Is there anything inside the Microsoft Users folder?

I don't see anything in your Documents folder other than that "MS Users" folder. Sorry. However, we can and should fix your "Tigerness." It may be interfering with other things. This might seem scary, but it is perfectly safe as long as you follow the instructions.

1) Open System Preferences>Accounts. Create a new account, and make it an admin account. Log out of your own account, then into the new admin account.

2) In the new admin account, again open System Preferences>Accounts. Unlock the padlock to make changes if necessary, entering the password for the account you are logged into. Select your old "Ninda" account, then click the "-" button at the bottom of the list. You will be asked what you want to do with your "Ninda" HOME folder. Leave it right where it is!!!. The choice to do this is "Do not change home folder." Do not archive it to a disk image, and definitely do not delete it!

3) Leaving the System Preferences>Accounts where it is, open Terminal. At the prompt, copy and paste the following line of text, followed by a <RETURN>:

<pre style="overflow:auto; font-family: 'Monaco'; font-size: 10px">sudo mv /Users/"Ninda (Deleted)" /Users/Ninda</pre>

When you press <RETURN>, you will be asked for your admin password. Enter it (it will not be echoed), then again press <RETURN>.

4) Now, leave Terminal open and go back to the System Preferences.Accounts window. At the bottom of the list, click the "+" button. Create a new account, and use the exact same username and short name as you had before on your own account. Your short name will be "Ninda." Make sure it stays the same. Set your password, then confirm to create the account. A dialogue will appear, telling you that a home folder with this short name already exists, and asking if you want to use this home folder for the new account. You do! Click the "OK" button. Finally, make sure that you give your own account admin status. Check the box next to "Allow user to administer this computer." Close System Preferences.

5) Just to be on the safe side, go back to Terminal. At the prompt, copy and paste the text below, then press <RETURN>:

<pre style="overflow:auto; font-family: 'Monaco'; font-size: 10px">sudo chown -R Ninda/staff /Users/Ninda</pre>

If you are asked to enter your admin password, comply. Quit Terminal, then log out of this temporary account and into your own. You may safely delete the temporary admin account, and it is safe to delete the home folder when you do.

I cannot promise that this will return your ability to locate the missing files, but I can tell you that you will have removed all traces of your "Tigerness" that may have conflicted with Snow Leopard.

Scott

Sep 4, 2009 4:17 AM in response to Scott Radloff

I reached step 5 - it didn't ask me for a password, I get the following

-------------------
MAC:~ admin$ sudo chown -R Ninda/staff /Users/Ninda
chown: Ninda/staff: Invalid argument
MAC:~ admin$ sudo chown -R Ninda/staff/Users/Ninda
usage: chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ...
chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ...
MAC:~ admin$

-------------------

What does that mean?

Sep 4, 2009 6:41 AM in response to Charles E. Flynn

Hello Charles:

Interesting, but it does not appear to be relevant to the OP's problem. The thread you referenced indicates missing desktop folders. From the thread you linked, I extracted this:

everything in Documents, Photos, and other locations on my hard drive are all intact,

This OP has missing items in the document folder. There could, of course, be some correlation, but offhand I cannot see what it might be.

Barry

Sep 4, 2009 12:10 PM in response to Ninda

Ninda,

I'm terribly sorry. It was late, and I goofed. Please copy and paste again into Terminal, this time with the correct text:

<pre style="overflow:auto; font-family: 'Monaco'; font-size: 10px">sudo chown -R Ninda:staff /Users/Ninda</pre>

When you press <RETURN>, you will be asked for your admin password. Enter it (it will not be echoed), then again press <RETURN>.

You may have already tried logging into your account. That's fine, although everything might not have worked perfectly well. Nothing would have been damaged in any way by doing so. If you have, you can run the above command from either your own account or the "temporary" admin account. It makes no difference.

Scott

Documents gone. Folder empty?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.