Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow leopard install wiped out sparse image?

On our Mac Pro computer I just did a successful install of Snow Leopard, but immediately found that after it restarted, a sparse disk image that I use for my Aperture library failed to mount as it usually does on startup. When I originally set this up, I added the disk image to "System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items" so it would mount whenever I logged in. This worked great until the Snow Leopard install tonight.

Now, the disk image is nowhere to be found. In the login items, I can see what I had called "Aperture volume" listed as unknown kind. I can see other disk images in disk utility. But I cannot find any trace of the sparse image that should still be there.

Also, not that I was keeping track, but the SL install seemed to give me a huge amount of disk space back. I mean unusually huge. Like missing the 200-300 gigs worth of Aperture library that was on the sparse image huge.

Why, oh why, might have the upgrade have wiped out my disk image, and how might I be able to get it back?

I do have a vault that's within a day, so I can rebuild the Aperture library, I guess. Because I update the Vault every day, I was having time machine skip the disk image, because it only contained the Aperture library.

Does anybody out there have any suggestions that might help me out here? I would really like to avoid having to wait for a day while my huge Aperture library is restored from a vault.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad core, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 3, 2009 11:18 PM

2 replies

Sep 3, 2009 11:37 PM in response to hallerphoto

Something I forgot to add is that when I right click on the "Aperture volume" in the login items and choose "Reveal in Finder," I'm taken to the Finder, but no window is open and nothing is selected. Also, I don't have an "Incompatible Applications" folder. I've also done spotlight searches looking for any clues and have found none. Why would have this upgrade deleted this disk image?

Sep 4, 2009 3:06 AM in response to hallerphoto

Maybe because you were making a disk image (which includes OSX) rather then transferring only aperture files to a separate partition? SL installation may also have removed other instances of Leopard, effectively removing the disk image.

Even when you did an Archive & Install, this image disk would not appear in any of the archived user folders, so rebuilding from the Vault might well be your only option.

Snow leopard install wiped out sparse image?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.