3802 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2009 8:15 PM by gtholder
Migration of 10.5 calendar server data to a 10.6 server is fully supported. If you do an "in place" upgrade of 10.5 to 10.6 it should happen automatically. If you move old 10.5 data over to a new 10.6 server it should also happen automatically on server startup (the calendar server now uses a version number stored in its documents directory to detect what version of data is present and will automatically upgrade if needed).
I'm having some trouble with this. 150 users, 5,000+ events. Going from 10.5 to 10.6. The migration failed twice. We called Apple Enterprise Support and spoke to Mark. He said there was no manual migration path from 10.5 to 10.6, and recommended installing a fresh copy 10.5 Server and moving our 10.5 calendars to it. Then updating that to 10.6.
We tried it but even getting the calendars from one version of 10.5 to another had some issues.
We did an erase and install of 10.6. Imported the OD users and then brought over the calendars and started iCal server. The users can connect to iCal server but their calendars are empty. The data is there. iCal server Overview shows 150 users and 5000+ events.
Is there a trick to get the calendars to load again on the clients?
I too am having this problem and have found the issue, but no real work around. What I have found is that my users' default calendars are put into /Library/CalendarServer/Documents/calendars/_uids_/ in directories that are based off their UID (wx/yz/wxyz......). With the server off you should be able to delete the file .db.sqlite in a directory called calendar and it will get recreated when the server is started (according to the iCal server documentation). But it does not.
If you use a client that is connected to the server you will not see a calendar. Creating a calendar for a user in the client will create a directory in the user's calendar directory that looks like some kind of ID. Next create an entry with the client in the calendar you created and you will see an .ics file and .db.sqlite (I think that was the name of the file). Stop the server, delete the sqlite file, restart the server and you will see the sqlite file get recreated. This looks like to me that the new ical server does not recognize the old calendar directory as a directory of .ics files that it should use like the ID directory that it created.
I submitted a bug to Apple about the issue and was told that it was a duplicate of another bug, but they would not let me see the details of the bug. All they would say is that the bug is currently not resolved.
What I am thinking about doing, since I do not have a dozen users, is to export my users' iCal server entries with their iCal client. Then after my upgrade I will go back to my clients and use their client to create a new calendar on the server and then import the information back into it. I have not fully tested this approach, but hope to soon. I doubt this will work for you due to your number of users,
I wish I knew someone with Apple that was working on this that could shine a light on this situation, but all I can see I can do is either wait for a fix or use my workaround.