Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EFI Fiery driver broken in 10.6 client

I have a client using an IKON CPP 500, and a Fiery box that handles all the jobs.

The EFI/Fiery driver is S300 50C-KM ColorServer v2.0

Since the upgrade to 10.6, which wiped out the old printers, I reinstalled this driver and get the error some others seem to be getting.

"The printer software was installed incorrectly. Please reinstall the printer’s software or contact the manufacturer for assistance."

I've seen this fix suggested for regular drivers, where permissions are written incorrectly:

*Open the Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities). Copy and paste the following command into a Terminal window:*

*sudo chown -R root:admin /Library/Printers/OKIDATA/*

Obviously that's just for an OKIDATA printer.

However, this Fiery driver must install itself somewhere else and and I haven't been able to find it. Checked the hidden folders on the root level (etc,var,usr) and tried a general search. Came up with nothing. Also tried accessing the CUPS admin at localhost:631, which was of little help in this case. The drivers show up just fine if you do a search when setting up the printer, both the regular and a European version.

Anyone have an idea where this driver might install, or if there's another workaround?

2 workaround I've tried -

a. Sharing the printer from a 10.5 client - works for most files, but PDFs won't go through at all. They go to the Sharing computer, and it just stops the queue completely. In Design files are also problematic. At first all users could print them, and now only one can. Yet all users can still print a .doc file or a .jpg file or webpage just fine.

b. Created the printer again using the Generic driver. This works, though obviously it loses the options for tabloid printing and the kinds of jobs they do.

EFI's lack of a decent support site is frustrating in these cases. They push you to IKON. Those guys have been great, but they just have to escalate it back to EFI.

Message was edited by: shortstopk

Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 4, 2009 2:15 PM

7 replies

Sep 8, 2009 8:03 AM in response to pengtao

Hadn't seen that, so I'll give it a go. Thanks.

I didn't think about this while onsite, but another option offered was to send everything to the Hold queue and make changes from the Fiery workstation.

I was also told by the IKON people there is likely to be a Fiery driver update in the next week or so, that will restore full functionality. Not sure if this is for all Fiery drivers or not.

Sep 8, 2009 2:18 PM in response to shortstopk

Thanks for that command, I'm now able to connect to my CPP 500.

I'm having issues with my Ricoh C900 Pro as well. I'm able to print to any queue and I can use the quick select options, but I get an error trying to get the full printer properties. Invalid IP address or bad DNS name, but I know there are no issues with either. Seems like something is blocking two-way communication from the driver to the Fiery. I checked to see if perhaps the firewall had been enabled by default with the upgrade but it had not.

*** Apple?!? Why in the world would would you kill Appletalk?

Sep 22, 2009 8:57 AM in response to pengtao

I use a Ricoh MPC 5000 with Fiery. After installing 10.6, I too lost fiery controls (seems to be a common problem on these threads). There used to be print dialog option for "fiery features", which would allow me to control duplex, staple, booklet printing, etc).

Something that has worked for me (I am not a tech, so bare with me...):

1) Install the printer (I did it via the IP address usually a 172.something rather). For the Queue option, type in "hold" (without quotes, make sure lower case).
This will send you print to the hold instead of directly printing. If you leave blank or type in "print", you will not get Fiery features, but will be able to print directly).

2) If you don't have it already, download/install "Command Work Station", Mac edition (CWS). For me, I had to download it (for free) from Ricoh's website. It was a package called "efi_utilities.zip" ( http://www.ricoh-usa.com/downloads/EFI_Utilities.zip ). <----(EDIT-please see bottom of this reply for the download link and name)
A disk that came with the printer should also have the software, as well.

3) When you print (to the hold Queue), Open up CWS. For first time use, enter in the IP address to get to the printer. You may have also get a log in screen. Clicking on Operator and login (leaving password blank) worked perfectly for me-but you may have to enter something (check with IT, if you have internal support that may have created a password).

4) you should now see your job in the "Active jobs" (you can also see all of the other jobs that have been printed already).
Viola!
Double clicking your job will now now give you full control (same as the "fiery features" did before, but better*). Cleick layout for booklet, duplex, etc... you get the idea.

*Even though this method seems a bit of a pain, it actually works better. For example, if you (assuming you could) printed a pdf x 50 via the "fiery features" option, the job actually gets sent FIFTY times (so does all the job output options). With this way, when you hit print x50, the information is already on the fiery, so it does not need to resend every print. You can also keep the job there, if it is something that you print frequently. It's annoying to open CWS every time, but it's a great work around, and actually has better options for complex jobs.

Good luck!

^^^^Correction, after Rechecking and re-downloading, the file to download is not EFI Utilites, this link will do it: http://support.ricoh.com/bb/html/drut_e/rc2/model/e_5100/e5100en.htm

This is from Ricoh's download support page (look for the Command Workstation link for Mac OSX 10.5 or later)

Message was edited by: jkleinrichert

EFI Fiery driver broken in 10.6 client

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.