Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

both "Sent Items" and "Sent Messages" appear in Outllook after using Mail

I am accessing a work email account from home using an imap Mail account. When I open Outlook at work, I was confused by having both a Sent Items folder (expected) and a Sent Messages folder (unexpected) and my IT guy couldn't explain it. After observing more carefully, it seems that mail I send from home using Mail shows up in Outlook in Sent Messages instead of Sent Items. This is causing a tremendous problem because the two mailboxes do not stay synched between home view and work view. What shows up as sent mail in one location might not show up as sent mail in the other location. When I send mail at work, it won't always show up in sent mail when viewed in Mail at home.

Any help would be appreciated.

24" 2.8 GHz Intel iMac (mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.4.11), 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 750GB hard drive

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 6:39 AM

4 replies

Sep 5, 2009 8:32 PM in response to BDAqua

Your answer is what I already knew was true.

What I didn't know about Mail's message handling was that Outlook doesn't recognize messages send from Mail and Mail doesn't recognize messages sent from Outlook.

Messages sent from home using my work account in Mail show up in the work account mailbox under Sent, but NOT in the Sent Items folder under my IMAP work folder. When viewed at work, those same messages show up in a Sent Messages folder in Outlook.

Messages sent from work using Outlook show up in Outlook in the Sent Items folder. When viewed at home, those messages are NOT in the work account mailbox under Sent, but they are visible in the Sent Items folder under my IMAP work folder.

So, as I'd said, sent messages end up in two different folders depending upon whether they were sent from home or from work. I guess that's due to the different way that Mail and Outlook file sent messages. And I'll have to get used to looking in two different folders when searching for an old sent message, it appears, unless there's some trick for changing where those two applications store their sent messages.

I guess that's what I was trying to ask in the original post.

both "Sent Items" and "Sent Messages" appear in Outllook after using Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.