Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"charging is not supported with this accessory"

after charging my iphone 3 GS, currently with firmware 3.0.1, i've been getting a prompt saying "charging is not supported with this accessory". please could some one tell me what it means and how to stop the annoying prompts from prompting me of a problem i dont know how to fix. i've tried several hard resets. one restore and one force restore, but nothing seems to work.

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), also an iphone 3 GS

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2009 7:10 AM

If you are using a standard Apple iPhone cable (vs. some third party dock) this could be caused by a bad connection at the long connector on the bottom. There may be some debris. I'd try cleaning the area with a dry brush of some sort.

Do not use any liquid including water. There is a moisture sensor in that area and triggering it can void your warranty.

If the problem persists, change cables. If still a problem I'd take it to an Apple store.

Phil
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2009 7:10 AM in response to canadianbeef

If you are using a standard Apple iPhone cable (vs. some third party dock) this could be caused by a bad connection at the long connector on the bottom. There may be some debris. I'd try cleaning the area with a dry brush of some sort.

Do not use any liquid including water. There is a moisture sensor in that area and triggering it can void your warranty.

If the problem persists, change cables. If still a problem I'd take it to an Apple store.

Phil

Sep 6, 2009 9:03 AM in response to canadianbeef

Are you saying this appears even when the iPhone IS NOT plugged into an accessory or USB cable???

If so then you may have a damaged PIN in the 30 PIN connector...or you may have moisture or water damage on it that's causing it to trip off when not connected to anything...

Check the water damage indicator under the 30 PIN connector...is is still completely white???

"charging is not supported with this accessory"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.