Previous 1 2 3 Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 11:09 AM by HornBlowR Go to original post
  • pravin1 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I was having the same problem, but after I Iet it run for about 2 hrs it went back to normal. I think it was re-indexing since I had just installed the 10.6.7 OSX update.
  • arno_o Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    same problem here.
    Running office 2010
    Having an external (network) 'dropbox' drive.
    Processing to 100%, due to mdworker32.

    - checked via the activity monitor which files where listed and found 2 excell files with .xlsx
    - these where saved there by another person from an Microsoft machine.

    - opened the files, saved them as .xls and deleted the .xlsx versions.

    Processing went back to 'normal' ..
  • gef_cal Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Thanks for this. I was having issues doing an initial TC backup to an external RAID 1 HD. Kept freezing at various stages of the backup. Removed the Microsoft Office.mdimporter files and the backup re-engaged and is moving along nicely.

     

    Cheers

     

    Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.7

    2TB G-Drive External - Firewire

  • bugcounter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Same problem here.

     

    Used: Activity monitor, select the mdworker32 process, click "inspect" and select "Open Files & Ports"

     

    Found an .xlsx file that was emailed as an attachment.  I had opened and closed the attachment, and left excel open, then forwarded the message with attachment. "Open Files & Ports" showed the same filename listed twice.

     

    I closed excel and restarted mail.app and the problem went away.

  • mileszhou Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Okay, the problem was gone once "Microsoft Office.mdimporter" had been removed!

  • xairbusdriver Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)

    I found this thread while searching for mdworker32 problems. It had started causing mutiple crashes on my iMac a few days ago and became almost continuous yesterday. The crash reports usually said the same thing. I never tried reading/understanding those reports but I finally noticed it was claiming an 'importer' file in a word processor I rarely use anymore was the possible problem. I had tried many changes, removing things from the Startup Items list, etc. to no avail. However, I also found Time Machine stalling and decided I needed to do something. Activity Monitor was showing 100%+ almost constantly for mdworker32!

     

    I followed the path the crash report gave, found the "WriteImporter.mdimporter" file and compressed it and then deleted it. Restarted. Not had a crash for any reason for over 24 hours! mdworker32 doesn't even show up in AM!

     

    Lessons learned:

    1. Look at those crash reports more carefully! Some of it is actually in English!

    2. Try removing the file(s) that are reported by those crash reports, but make a copy before deleting them, they may not be the direct cause of a problem.

     

    I've established a habit of always copressing the current version of any app before I install an update. That's a safe method to use when you suspect a pref file to be corrupted; Quuit the app, compress its plist, then just move the original to the Desktop and restart the app.

  • HornBlowR Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I had problems with mdworker32 hogging CPU when I created a backup drive.  It really got bad using Time Machine.  The problem was solved when I added the backup drive to the privacy list under Spotlight preferences.

Previous 1 2 3 Next