Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't save files to Helios EtherShare UB fileserver from applications

Hi there,

I am checking out SL on an iMac at my office. We're a printshop and keep our files on a Sun running Helios EtherShare UB (not UB+).

Since upgrading to SL I can browse and open files on the Sun, but if I want to save files from inside running applications I get an error message, stating there's a "Volume Error".

If I save the file to the desktop and then copy it to the Sun manually, things work out fine.

Since we also have a couple of PCShare-licenses, I've tried to connect to the volumes via SMB. That's unfortunately not working, either.

Any hints?

Jason

Message was edited by: Jason Harder

iMac 2.4 C2D, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 5:42 AM

6 replies

Sep 7, 2009 5:49 AM in response to Jason Harder

HI,

Try repairing permissions.

Quit any open applications/programs. Launch Disk Utility. (Applications/Utilities) Select MacintoshHD in the panel on the left, select the FirstAid tab. Click: Repair Disk Permissions. When it's finished from the Menu Bar, Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac. If you see a long list of "messages" in the permissions window, it's ok. That can be ignored. As long as you see, "Permissions Repair Complete" when it's finished... you're done. Quit Disk Utility and restart your Mac.

Carolyn 🙂

Sep 8, 2009 3:06 AM in response to DaddyPaycheck

Helios is currently only stating UB+ as being compatible with SL. So, kind of, yes.

Since we can move files from/to the Sun using the Finder by itself, it's hard to believe that there is something wrong with Helios.

I am trying to find people who have similar - or probably more positive - observations. If we can't use SL for accessing EtherShare volumes, we will not upgrade our systems to SL.

At the moment, this doesn't really pose a problem. Just wanna know ...

Can't save files to Helios EtherShare UB fileserver from applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.