Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fontworker 99.9% CPU. make it stop?

What is fontworker and why does it take up the entire CPU/ System memory/ Disk usage?
The temperature of my MBP soars way high, setting my fan off like crazy
How do I stop this process?
How can I fix this?
I have de-enabled a lot of fonts already.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6),  Classic • Nano  iPhone 3G

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 1:04 PM

Also "fontd" - that can take up to 80%
18 replies

Sep 8, 2009 12:25 AM in response to Ninda

Same issue here. It has slowed down my whole workflow. Causing many color wheels in FCP, although FCP hasn't crashed once since this issue started. In addition Microsoft Word takes 20 minutes to start up and then quits. Msft Word says "Bad Font Detected" "quit all apps. and remove this font file or replace it with a new version"
Needless to say I trashed the font and it still takes 20 min. to start up but now without the Bad Font Detected window. I also trashed the font cache. Same result. I have not tried a fresh install of Office 2008 yet though, that will be next if I can't find more info online. Im Istat Pro it reads that fontworker is using 99% of my cpu.

Sep 8, 2009 11:44 PM in response to Go Solar

Sounds like a problem with a damaged or duplicate font to me. Try using "Font Book" (its should be in your Applications folder) to check for duplicates and to "validate" all of your fonts (you can select the lot at one time).

"fontworker" is a new "system daemon" in Snow Leopard. It is meant to validate your system fonts on startup as I understand it and then quit. If something is amiss, then I suspect it goes haywire. Probably writing continuous output to a log file or some such.

Seems to be a fairly common problem with SL installs, probably because of previously undetected system font issues on older installations.

Cheers

Rod

Sep 9, 2009 9:00 AM in response to Ninda

I'm having the same problem. I've tried to resolve duplicate/bad fonts and that made everything worse.
Applications like iWork started asking for typefaces that I've never used. Plus, the horrible Marker Felt Thin that's on the post-it notes was resolved (read:removed) by font book causing some extra issues.

I used to have a ton of fonts I've turned off almost all of them and fontworker will still bog me down for about ten minutes every few hours. Really annoying.

I'm mostly venting because it doesn't seem like there are a lot of usable solutions to what seems to be a system bug. I mean, how many creative people want to turn off all of their fonts?

Sep 9, 2009 3:33 PM in response to -alkdfad-lfk__

;aldkdetc

My suggestion wasn't that you go through turning off your fonts in "trial and error" fashion with Font Book.

What you need to do is to use Font Book's "Validate" function to find any damaged or duplicated fonts. then just deal with them. Fontworker, as I understand it, is only relevant to system fonts anyway, of which there are a limited number.

System fonts under the original Leopard were:

*This list is taken from the 10.5 release and has not been updated yet.*

AppleGothic.ttf
AquaKanaBold.otf
AquaKanaRegular.otf
Courier.dfont*
Geneva.dfont
Helvetica LT MM & HelveLTMM
Helvetica.dfont*
HelveticaNeue.dfont*
Keyboard.dfont
LastResort.dfont
LucidaGrande.dfont
Monaco.dfont
Osaka.dfont
OsakaMono.dfont
Symbol.dfont*
Times LT MM & TimesLTMM
Times.dfont*
ZapfDingbats.dfont*
HiraMinProN-W3, HiraMinProN-W6, HiraKakuProN-W3 & HiraKakuProN-W6

I understand that Snow Leopard adds another font, "Menlo", to the System fonts.

If any of these are duplicated or damaged then it is likely to be the cause of your problem.

If they are duplicated, then use Font Books "resolve duplicates" function to dispose of them, or delete them manually. If they are damaged then you should try a re-install of SL. You can't just delete these faults willy nilly as they are needed for system operation. They have to be replaced by re-installing SL.

Another related issue may be the System's "font cache" file becoming corrupted. To get rid of this do a "Safe Boot" - simply reboot the computer while holding down the shift key (it is a good idea to remove periherals other than keyboard and mouse while doing this).

Release the shift key when you see "Safe Boot" on the screen. The computer will run through a drive check etc as well as clearing out the font caches so it will take significantly longer than normal to boot. Once it has finished booting, restart it normally.

You might want to try deleting the font caches with a safe boot before checking with font book, in fact. Might well resolve the issue in one simple step!

Cheers

Rod

Sep 14, 2009 11:57 PM in response to Rod Hagen

I have about 8,000 fonts, but I turned all but 50 off. Fontworker seems to go CRAZY for a solid 10-15 minutes or when I access my fonts, such as by opening a text editor or adobe software. In other words this happens all the time and it is causing my computer to run much slower and the fan never seems to stop running because the macbook pro I have is insanely hot after just surfing the web for 5 minutes. I did a safe boot and it didn't seem to act up but I still don't understand how to fix it from that point. If I can go back to leopard I think I will because my macbook, which seems to open some things quicker and has 14 more gigs of space, is just way too hot and laggy. Any ideas?

Sep 15, 2009 12:14 AM in response to kwysong

You may have turned off System fonts that you actually need, kwysong.

Fontworker should only go crazy if some of the system fonts are missing, duplicated or damaged. As I understand it it won't even look at your other thousands of fonts.

Look at the list in my previous post and see if any of the specific ones mentioned there are missing or duplicated.

Cheers

Rod

Sep 15, 2009 12:20 AM in response to Rod Hagen

I did and it appears all of those fonts are active. I do use fontexplorer pro to activate and deactivate all my fonts but i haven't had any issues until I upgraded to Snow. I turned console on and it appears that what is happening is something is causing fontworker to crash over and over again. This is one message I get a lot:

9/15/09 3:14:26 AM com.apple.FontWorker[300] fontworker(300,0x104604000) malloc: * error for object 0x1045fd630: pointer being freed was not allocated

9/15/09 3:19:00 AM com.apple.FontWorker[405] * set a breakpoint in malloc errorbreak to debug

9/15/09 3:19:00 AM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[119] (com.apple.FontWorker[405]) Job appears to have crashed: Abort trap

9/15/09 3:19:00 AM ReportCrash[406] Saved crash report for fontworker[405] version ??? (???) to /Users/kwysong/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fontworker 2009-09-15-031900wysong.crash

Basically this just keeps happening over and over and over and over and over. Any help is appreciated.

Sep 15, 2009 1:47 AM in response to kwysong

using Console, does the log that has been written to /Users/kwysong/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/fontworker 2009-09-15-031900wysong.crash say anything meaningful? (should be in the "crash reporter" folder if you click on "show log list" in console)

there are some known incompatibilities between the current version of fontexplorer pro and Snow Leopard (see http://seansperte.com/entry/fontexplorerx_pro_and_snowleopard/ ) and an update is on the way apparently, but i wouldn't have expected them to cause the fontworker crashing issue.

Cheers

Rod

Sep 15, 2009 1:55 AM in response to Rod Hagen

You might find the following post at http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Word/7829 helpful

R+e: Snow Leopard Plays Not So Well With All Others? Print This Reply+
wrote:

+> HI all;+
>
+> Can I just explore this font issue? I just installed Snow Leopard and+
+> was told that Helvetica and Monaco should be deleted as they would cause+
+> some kind of conflict. I was given an option so I kept Helvetica but+
+> ditched Monaco. I haven't noticed any problem yet. Would it be wise to+
+> delete Helvetica? If so, what happens to all the files that use that+
+> font?+

+Well here is the situation. Apple updated a bunch of their fonts with+
+Show Leopard. Some of these fonts are also installed by Office 2008 and+
+you end up with duplicates.+
+Font Book can help you see what fonts are duplicated (and can also scan+
+the rest for corruptions, try the Validate Fonts command after selecting+
+all fonts).+

+Here is the list of duplciate fonts:+
+Andale Mono+
Arial
+Arial Black+
+Arial Narrow+
+Arial Rounded Bold+
+Brush Script.ttf+
+Comic Sans MS+
Georgia
Impact
Tahoma
+Times New Roman+
+Trebuchet MS+
Verdana
+Wingdings 2+
+Wingdings 3+

+I made the decision to disable the Microsoft ones+
(/Library/Fonts/Microsoft).
+You can do it through Font Book automatically (Resolve Duplicates), but+
+I decided to do it manually (I moved them to a new folder:+
+/Library/Fonts (disabled)).+

+Font Book (and another app) also told me that Bauhaus 93 was corrupted.+
+I didn't want to take any chance (and I don't use this font — and it's+
+not required for anything) so I also disabled it.+

+Helvetica and Monaco are NOT in the list and I don't have any problem+
+with them.+
+If you have them in more than one copy, it's not because of Office 2008.+
+Use Font Book to see what the exact problem is with these fonts. You+
+could use the Resolve DUplicates command if they are in more than one+
copy.

+Considering the issues I've had with fonts after installing Snow+
+Leopard, I would strongly recommand to reboot pressing the Shift key+
+down (safe boot) to let the System purge its font cache (after manually+
+deactivating the duplciates).+

+In my case, this cleared all my issues. The fontworker process was+
+crashing all the time on the Mac and hasn't crashed once since then.+
+(check /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and+
~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports)

>
+> By the way, I did use Disk Utility first and found that there were some+
+> files (SUID?) that weren't able to be repaired.+

+That might not be an issue and could be expected.+

Corentin

Cheers

Rod

Message was edited by: Rod Hagen

Sep 15, 2009 2:43 AM in response to kwysong

I don't know if this is going to be a good answer for you, but I had only 500 fonts - all turned off except for the System fonts, and I would suffer exactly the same freezes every time the computer awoke.

It seems to make no difference whether they are enabled, or disabled.

Right now I have deleted all extra fonts from the Font Book, and only add them back one at a time as needed.

Fontworker 99.9% CPU. make it stop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.