Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

LX3+RAW+APERTURE=NO SUPPORT!

9652 Views 31 Replies Latest reply: Feb 10, 2010 9:47 PM by Nina Tovish RSS
1 2 3 Previous Next
Cecilstar Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 7, 2009 8:39 AM
There must be a reason for this, the camera has been out for over a year and still no RAW support for the LX3!

Is it laziness? Conspiracy? Bad blood? Somebody somewhere knows why.

Anyone?
MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.4 GHz 2GB
  • 153957 Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Sep 7, 2009 2:19 PM (in response to Cecilstar)
    This camera is already about the best in its class, if its RAWs would be supported in Aperture as well, well that would just kill the competition wouldn't it? :P

Honestly I don't know why. Can't you use the DNG converter by Adobe to get your RAWs into Aperture?
    Mac Pro 2009+PowerBook G4, Nikon D80, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • Christopher Barker1 Calculating status...
    Oct 7, 2009 11:08 PM (in response to Cecilstar)
    I'm quite miffed to find that there is no support by Apple for .RW2. I have just bought a Panasonic LX3 and it was quite the last thing I expected to find that the RAW files were unsupported, so long after its introduction.

Chris
    iMac & MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iMac 2.16, MacBook 2.0
  • 153957 Level 2 Level 2 (485 points)
    Oct 8, 2009 1:47 AM (in response to Christopher Barker1)
    Well, you 'should have' checked http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

It is indeed quite ridicules. the LX1, LX2 are supported and it is about time the LX3 was. (and some other camera's that are also lacking..)
    Mac Pro 2009+PowerBook G4, Nikon D80, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • nostatic Calculating status...
    Oct 22, 2009 6:21 PM (in response to Cecilstar)
    Aperture doesn't support cameras that do lens correction (eg LX-3, G1, E-P1). I have been shooting a DLux4 for almost a year and am about ready to ditch Aperture for LightRoom. Yeah, LR isn't as elegant, but in the past few months I've shot E-P1, G1 and GF-1. And NONE of those raw files are supported. The only camera I own that is supported is my 5D2, and Aperture doesn't support the sRaw files (only the CR2).

Aperture is the best DAM out there for photos. But Apple's inability to provide raw support for mainstream cameras has become inexcusable. Yes, the workflow is great...until I dare to shoot raw with one of my cameras. At which point I have to employ a totally different workflow. And then the advantages of Aperture fade to zero.

I'm generally not the whining type, and am happy with other pro aps (FCP and Logic to name two). But Aperture is about to go into the digital dustbin...
    macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.6.1)
  • MichaelHund Calculating status...
    Nov 13, 2009 7:53 PM (in response to Cecilstar)
    I bought the LX3 more than a year ago, and really enjoy using it. I purchased Aperture at the same time, knowing it was the software I wanted to use, and knowing raw wasn't supported, but expecting it any month now. I shoot everything in JPEG, definitely not my preference.

I am nonplussed that more than a year later, it is still not supported. It is arrogant of Apple, IN THE EXTREME, to allow this to go on for so long, without providing users with information desperately needed to make decisions. Like, should I now fork out the dosh for LR, and go through that lovely steep little learning curve? When can I expect raw support? What are the reasons for this failure to serve their customers adequately? If we had some information, we could make decisions to look after our interests, like our businesses and our livelihoods, instead of just standing in the cold with nothing. If we customers had some information, we could direct our substantial lobbying effort in appropriate directions. Is it Panasonic's failure to publish the specification? I've sent several nastygrams off to Panasonic on this assumption, no response. Similar lack of response from Apple.

I have been using apple products since the very beginning, and am a big fan. But this is really not acceptable behavior. If the problem can't be solved, then it is only common decency to let us know.

A year later, and the long suffering LX3 Aperture users are still waiting.

Michael Hund
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
  • Charles E. Flynn Calculating status...
    Nov 14, 2009 5:18 PM (in response to MichaelHund)
    Imagine how much we would enjoy ourselves ridiculing Microsoft if they had a similarly large, protracted public relations train wreck on their hands.
  • Travis Good Level 1 Level 1 (40 points)
    Dec 6, 2009 6:30 AM (in response to Cecilstar)
    Aperture's lack of LX3 RAW support has forced me to remain a JPG-only user.
    I shoot everything in JPG+RAW but all the RAW files do is occupy HD space.
    OVER A YEAR has passed without getting LX3 RAW support in Aperture!!!

I've used Aperture from its first release.
    Then I waited months for Sony A300 support.
    Then I've waited over a year for Lumix LX3 support.

*Remind me again why I shouldn't switch to Lightroom?*
    12 PB G4, 12 iBook G4, 17 PB G4, 15 MBP, 2xMB Black, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • jpmac55 Calculating status...
    Dec 6, 2009 3:39 PM (in response to Travis Good)
    Has Apple officially responded as to why they do not support this raw format yet?

I stopped in an Apple store and inquired. The salesperson didn't commit to anything but thinks Aperture 3 could support the LX3 and Leica DLux 4. I didn't walk out over confident that it will.
    MacBook
  • jackjansen Calculating status...
    Dec 17, 2009 12:13 PM (in response to Cecilstar)
    Sigh... Today there's an update for Aperture and iPhoto, with RAW support for many more cameras, but still no LX3 support.

What on earth is causing this???
    various, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • Proggie Calculating status...
    Dec 17, 2009 1:17 PM (in response to jackjansen)
    Aperture 2 doesn't do lens correction. My hope is that Aperture 3 will, and therefore will be able to support LX-3. But who knows?
    MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 4GB RAM (keys that don't work 100% of the time when hit in the corners)
  • Aristophanes Calculating status...
    Dec 18, 2009 6:57 PM (in response to jackjansen)
    The LX3 uses a proprietary correction algorithm that Panasonic has not allowed Apple to access (for reasons unknown).

So, Apple has to reverse engineer the product which is extremely difficult. Note that a number of other software programs struggle with this camera as well.

This is not entirely Apple's fault. Panasonic designed the camera with this issue. Rant at Panny. I did. Then I returned my LX3.
    MacBook 2.2 Johnny Cash Black full o' RAM; iMac 2.66 chock full o' RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Pentax K-x + sweet primes lenses; Fuji F40fd; iPods
  • TouchOfClass Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Dec 18, 2009 7:13 PM (in response to Aristophanes)
    I have a Panasonic GH1 which also has lens correction and Aperture doesn't support it's raw files but Lightroom does, Raw Photo Processor does, RAW Developer does and Capture One does.

Apple just dropped the ball.
    MBP Boyeee, Mac OS X (10.6), My 'puter is better then yours!
  • Jeremy Henderson Level 1 Level 1 (135 points)
    Dec 19, 2009 7:16 AM (in response to Aristophanes)
    Aristophanes wrote:
    The LX3 uses a proprietary correction algorithm that Panasonic has not allowed Apple to access (for reasons unknown).

So, Apple has to reverse engineer the product which is extremely difficult. Note that a number of other software programs struggle with this camera as well.

This is not entirely Apple's fault. Panasonic designed the camera with this issue. Rant at Panny. I did. Then I returned my LX3.

Hmmm. I would make the camera my primary choice, and think about software after. What did you get instead of the LX3?
    17" MBP, Mac OS X (10.6)
  • Aristophanes Level 2 Level 2 (320 points)
    Dec 20, 2009 4:43 PM (in response to TouchOfClass)
    TouchOfClass wrote:
    I have a Panasonic GH1 which also has lens correction and Aperture doesn't support it's raw files but Lightroom does, Raw Photo Processor does, RAW Developer does and Capture One does.

Apple just dropped the ball.

No. Panasonic is sharing the algorithms with Adobe and other companies, not Apple.

So Apple's response has been to reverse engineer on their timeframe, not for the sake of Panasonic customers.

I should also point out there are numerous issues with non-Adobe software and the lens correction software for all Panasonic cameras.

This is about Panasonic choosing who it wants to process its customers file formats.

Phone Apple Corporate and ask for Kirk Paulsen.
    MacBook 2.2 Johnny Cash Black full o' RAM; iMac 2.66 chock full o' RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.2), Pentax K-x + sweet primes lenses; Fuji F40fd; iPods
1 2 3 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.