Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory upgrade on iMac (Late 2006)

I want to upgrade the memory on my iMac (Late 2006). My present memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I am getting that information from the System Profiler. That (one) module is in one Memory Slot, and the other Memory Slot is empty.

The manual says the following:

+Your iMac comes with at least 1 GB of Double Data Rate 2 (DDR2) Synchronous+
+Dynamic Random Access (SDRAM) memory installed. You can add 1 or 2 gigabyte (GB)+
+memory modules for a maximum of 3 GB of memory. Memory modules must meet the+
+following specifications:+
+* Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (SO-DIMM) format+
+* 667 MHz, PC2-5300, DDR2 compliant (also referred to as DDR2 667)+
+* Unbuffered and unregistered+

And it also says the following:

+Your iMac has a top slot and a bottom memory slot. You can add a memory module to+
+the bottom slot and remove the memory module in the top slot to replace the+
+installed memory. You can add a 1 GB or 2 GB memory module for a maximum of 3 GB+
+of memory.+

I guess I should just do as Apple suggests and add a 2GB module to the other memory slot, to maximize the total memory in the computer at 3GB. But does anybody have any alternative experiences or suggestions? Should I perhaps add another 1GB module to the other Memory Slot so that they are both equal? Has anybody tried adding 2GB to each Memory Slot? What happens? It seems odd or unbalanced to have a 1GB module and a 2GB module as Apple suggests. Any opinions from people experienced in this would be welcome, and I thank you in advance.

iMac (Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.5.8), Processor:2 GHz; Memory: 1GB

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 10:48 AM

9 replies

Sep 7, 2009 11:11 AM in response to Alias Is Already Taken

Hello AIAT

The iMac's run just fine using unmatched size of modules, think about it 1GB in one slot and nothing in the other.

Your options are adding a 1GB or 2GB module in the empty slot or a 2x2GB 4GB kit.

Note that if you install a 4GB kit you will gain 6 to 8% in performance from having matching modules, but your system will only access 3GB.
See > http://guides.macrumors.com/UnderstandingIntel_MacRAM

Dennis

Sep 8, 2009 1:36 AM in response to den.thed

about memory ,i would like to ask a question?
I played with facebook a puzzle game,after that safari kept on crashing.
and now i have problems.
do you think the memory was eaten up by the game?i cant send pictures.
safari wont bookmark.
so how do i check whether i have any memory left?
my computer is mac os x
and i started a year ago with 4gb memory.
thank you for your help

Sep 8, 2009 4:16 PM in response to rosalarose

Hi rosalarose

To check how much memory you have and your memory usage go to: Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor and select System Memory.

Your problem sounds more like a Software problem with Safari than a Hardware issue with the Memory. Instead of piggybacking on someone else's thread you should post a New Topic of your own here or in the Safari section of the Forum with a more detailed explanation of your problem.
http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=876

Nov 10, 2009 9:57 PM in response to inmyhumbleopinion

More RAM generally allows less use of virtual memory. Virtual memory requires accessing the hard drive to read and write +swap files+. Access to the hard drive is much slower than access to RAM. Therefore, performance will usually improve. However, that does not mean it is "processing" any faster; the iMac is just working more efficiently with more RAM.

Memory upgrade on iMac (Late 2006)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.