Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator password required

I have been having an issue now for several months with OS X. It is a known issue, the PubSubAgent glitch that comes from RSS feeds in Mail and syncing bookmarks through MobileMe. In my case I have isolated the problem to bookmarks syncing. Every time I disable bookmark syncing, my machine runs perfectly. As soon as I turn syncing on, I get a message about every 20 or 30 minutes prompting me to put in my account password. In Leopard, I got this message:
PubSub Agent wants to use your confidential information stored in ‘idisk.mac.com mvest20’ in your keychain. Do you want to allow access to this item?"
I was hoping that Snow Leopard had cleaned this glitch up, unfortunately, no luck. Now the message I get is this:
Type an administrator's user name and password to allow OS X to make changes. Mac OS X wants to use the System keychain. Under the details tab, the computer tells me that the application that wants to use the keychain is PubSubAgent.
So, the question, does anyone know of a fix for this? For now I am leaving off my bookmark syncing, but I really like having my iPhone having full access to my computer's bookmarks and vice versa. If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I would be very appreciative.

Message was edited by: mvest20

Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6), Standard configuration (Early 2008)

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 7:21 PM

7 replies

Sep 8, 2009 4:16 AM in response to mvest20

I feel for you. Since installing Snow Leopard, i've lost ALL priviledges even though I am ADMINISTRATOR on this machine. This means I can't do any modifications at all, including installing new drivers, creating a new account, changing anything that needs a confirmation of login/password.
So, whatever solution is submitted to "fix" this situation, I can't do it because I don't have permission to implement the solution.

Anybody have a solution?

Sep 13, 2009 10:37 AM in response to pideja

Maybe this this document
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1278

can help you. It isdescribed for Leopard 10.5 but it also works under Snow Leopard.
The only change is in Step 9, because the Directory Utility has been removed from the Utilities directory in Snow Leopard. It now called /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility.
I followed all the steps and changed my user account back from Standard to Administrator.

Look also at the discussion in http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10061135&#10061135
It helped me!

Administrator password required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.