Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install and Configure Snow Leopard Without Static IP Address

The following instructions are for installing Snow Leopard Server and configuring DNS service without a static IP available. They may be used to set up Snow Leopard Server for small businesses or home networks which obtain Internet service from ISPs via cable modem, DSL, etc.

The instructions were drawn from recent experience of installing Snow Leopard Server on a Mac Mini on our network, which receives Internet service from Starhub in Singapore. A big thank you to Todd and Don from Apple ProApps support, who helped with the setup.

The instructions assume a router which is an Airport/Airport Express/Time Capsule.

_Step 1: Install Snow Leopard Server_

Recommendations: Boot up from Snow Leopard Server DVD (hold option key when starting up machine). Initialise hard disk (use Disk Utility) and install Snow Leopard Server fresh.

Welcome: Select Country or Region
Keyboard: Select Keyboard Layout
Serial Number: Enter Serial Number
Transfer an Existing Server?: Select "Set up a new server"
Registration and A Few More Questions: Enter Registration Information (2 screens)
Time Zone: Select Time Zone and Network Time Server

_Administrator Account_
Enter information to set up an Admin account locally on the server. Recommendation: use a name - or at least a short name - that is different from any accounts set up on client machines.

_Network screen - Important Step!_
Configure IPv4: enter Static IP (use 192.168.1.192) or make sure DHCP reservations are set up on Airport to always dish out 192.168.1.192 to server

IP Address: 192.168.1.192
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.1
DNS Server: 192.168.1.192, 192.168.1.1
Search domains and DHCP Client ID may be left blank.

Important: DNS server field will be "pre-filled" with gray IP addresses. Make sure these are overwritten with DNS Server information as set out above. Do not leave the field blank.

Airport Management: Allow Mac OS X Server to configure Airport - tick "Enable AirPort automanagement for "Airport name"" and enter Airport admin password

_Network Names screen - Important Step!_

This screen may take some time to come up - be patient

Screen will say at bottom "No DNS name was found for this computer. This server will provide its own limited name resolution so that services operate properly"

Enter the following in the fields:

Primary DNS Name: servername.companyname.private
Computer Name: servername

Note: "private" can be anything e.g., "llp" or "company"; servername is the name you want to give to your server. So the Primary DNS Name could be for example "plato.jacksonsgroceries.limited" with the Computer Name being "plato"

Users and Groups: select "Create Users and Groups"

Services: tick whatever services you want your server to provide

Client Backup: tick if you want client computers to make Time Machine backups to disks connected to the server

Mail Options: set up mail server

Review: Click Details… to save configuration information

Click "Set Up" to complete - this may take some time.

Server will boot up to Server Preferences. Close this. It may also ask if you want to use any connected disks as Time Machine backups.

Install any updates using Software Update.

_Step 2: Configure DNS Service on Snow Leopard Server_

Make sure Server Preferences is closed and launch Server Admin. It should log you into the local server automatically. If not, add the server, if necessary using 192.168.1.192 and login.

Click on DNS on the left hand panel. If DNS is running (green dot), click "Stop DNS" at bottom of screen.

Click Zones at top of right hand panel. Read the warning and dismiss it.

Note the Type column. There should be a "Primary Zone" entry and a "Reverse Zone" entry.The "Primary Zone" entry should have the name of your "Primary DNS Name" set up above, with a trailing full stop (i.e., servername.companyname.private.). Select it and click on the disclosure triangle on the left. A record of type "Machine" should appear.

Click and select the Primary Zone entry. Make sure the settings are as follow (do not click Save until the last step below):

Primary Zone Name: companyname.private.
Admin Email: [your email address]

In the Nameservers area below:
Zone: companyname.private.
Nameserver Hostname: servername.companyname.private.

Important: Note the trailing full stops - they must be included

Mail Exchangers: ignore this

Go back to top of screen and select the Machine record you expanded earlier. Make sure the area below shows the following:

Machine Name: servername.companyname.private.
IP Addresses: 192.168.1.192

Click "Save" to save the DNS settings. Click "Start DNS" to start DNS service.

_Step 3: Check DNS Settings are Correct_

Check that everything is set up correctly by using the Terminal:

hostname

the answer should read:

servername.companyname.private

If you want to double check your DNS run the following command:

sudo changeip -checkhostname

You will be prompted for a password. Enter your admin password (no characters will appear as you typed it due to masking).

the answer you will receive should be this:

Primary address = 192.168.1.192

Current HostName = servername.companyname.private
DNS HostName = servername.companyname.private

The names match. There is nothing to change.
dirserv:success = "success"

_Step 4: Configure Mac OS X Clients_

For the client systems go into System Preferences > Network

For Ethernet select the Ethernet port and switch DNS servers to the ones above, i.e., 192.168.1.192, 192.168.1.1

For Airport select Airport, then select advanced on the lower right, then select DNS tab and enter them there.

Macintosh SE/30, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 7, 2009 11:39 PM

22 replies

Sep 13, 2009 12:34 PM in response to Chong-Yee Khoo

I guess it was a suggestion to name it 192.168.1.xxx - I have a setup with 10.0.1.xxx too and it works just fine.

By the way I'd like to say thank you to the original poster! This really made my day. I spent about 6 hours ⚠ on finding out why the server assistant wouldn't complete its configuration. The error I made was to type in the same "administrator's username" that I use for my clients.

After following this guide step by step my server is finally up and running. A big thanks!

Sep 13, 2009 7:08 PM in response to tehupbeat

Hi,

Yes, 192.168.1.192 is just an example. It could be any IP address within the private ICAAN ranges.

I think the important points are that the server should be given a fixed IP address (whether by DHCP with manual address, by DHCP reservations or manually) and that this IP address is outside the range of dynamic addresses the DHCP server is configured to dole out.

Glad these instructions have helped...

Sep 16, 2009 2:27 AM in response to Chong-Yee Khoo

Hi,

Thanks for the great instructions, I am new to mac and new to OSX Server. I am trying to setup a home server so we can create internal websites.

Is there a way to add more custom sites and can use domain like

test.companyname.private
test2.companyname.private
test3.companyname.private

for three different sites in the home network settings?

Thanks again,

Oct 6, 2009 6:43 PM in response to Chong-Yee Khoo

Hi,
According to these instruction the setup is made through this configuration:
internet -> dsl modem -> airport extreme -> server
but how can users connect to server from outside LAN?

Instead, I would like to set up the server in this way:
Internet-> adsl modem -> server -> time capsule/airport
This would allow the access to the server from outside the network when needed using the set IP address of that moment.

any usefull help?
Pietro

Oct 29, 2009 2:41 PM in response to Chong-Yee Khoo

How bad would it be to use servername.companyname.com, equal to my external dns name, instead of servername.companyname.private? Does it have any influence when I want to use iChat ( jabber accounts ) for internal as well external use?

What about ldap, should we set it up just before or just after step 2.

I have problems with the iChat and iCal server. After your info I will do a reinstall.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 2009 3:36 PM in response to newsnow

If you are using one webserver then create Aliasses of that server in DNS.
Select the server in the primary zone, add record->add Alias.
Type test2.companyname.private. as alias,
type test.companyname.private as destination.

Then go to the web server and do there the other settings, but for now I don't know this from the top of my head.

you can also setup some bonjour services.

HTH

Oct 30, 2009 12:40 PM in response to Chong-Yee Khoo

Why are you adding information at the install stage for DNS numbers??? from my understanding this is a mistake as the service has not been configured as of yet, just curious, I've always been told to only put the Server IP, subnet, and router, if any. DNS fields will not be prefilled, you only put numbers in there if you have a DNS server on the network already. I've yet to see this on a standalone network.

I actually find these setup instructions confusing, and please point out where your NOT using a static IP as the thread title indicates. The router itself gets its IP dynamically from the ISP, but the server is static.

Oct 30, 2009 2:24 PM in response to Darryl M

Thanks to Orchidy, I have been able to get my new server up and running.
When OS X server start-up for the first time, it goes through a number of set-up pages, one of which is Network names. Very little information about this in the Apple documentation. If I did not read this thread, I would probably be still trying to get up and running.

I have a few questions as I am new at using a dedicated server (installing a new mac mini server with 5 clients).
Hard Drives: I see the two hard drives of the mini. Will the server span the content on both as it user expands or do I have to use/attach storage that will be large enough on its own to contain the users files?

Network names: As per the setup above, I have my machine setup. My priority is setting services on my LAN. I wonder though if the server will be accessible from the internet with a Primary DNS name as in the example, or do I need to use a registered domain name?

Thanks

Install and Configure Snow Leopard Without Static IP Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.