Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cocoa Applescript Application

Hey, I am new the developing with Xcode and coding in general, but used to write some applescript a few years back. Xcode is very confusing and I tried looking at online tutorials for help, but all of the ones I found are for Xcode 2.0 or lower and 3.0+ is very different. Can someone point me in the direction of a site or file that explains how to create an App with Xcode using Applescript?

I fooled around with Xcode for about an hour trying to get it to spit out a simple working app that just quit when I clicked a button, but I don't understand how you "Link" or "Bind" things to buttons to get actions out of them.

Would someone be nice enough to tell how I link my code to the button?

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 2:33 AM

1 reply

Sep 8, 2009 6:21 AM in response to Pete Goose

Apple's AppleScriptObjC Release Notes has some information about the new framework, but basically the way new way is to use the normal Cocoa methods from AppleScript, so you will need to read up on the Cocoa way of doing things. For your example, you will need to use use Interface Builder to link outlets to script properties, and link actions to handlers.

There isn't much documentation or example code from Apple yet, but there is an ongoing tutorial on AppleScriptObjC in Xcode at macscripter.net that should get you started. The Apple Mailing Lists are also fairly busy as people try to figure out the new way to do things.

Cocoa Applescript Application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.