Previous 1 2 3 Next 72 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2010 5:05 PM by spatial
zemitch Level 1 (0 points)
Hello,
I updated my MyBook with Snow Leopard. The (big) problem is that Aperture 2.1.4 is now very slow when I make change to images. CPU usage is very high and Aperture is unusable.
What can I do?
Thanks in advance.

MacBook 13'', Mac OS X (10.6), 2Ghz, 4Go
  • zemitch Level 1 (0 points)
    Pff. I try to uninstall and reinstall Aperture but nothing change. Who has the same issue than me?
  • Richard Seldomridge Level 3 (655 points)
    Yep, same issues here (and I'm on a Mac Pro). There are a few topics about it here. No solutions so far.
  • Shuttleworth125 Level 2 (415 points)
    We've noticed that importing from SD card is a lot slower to our FW400 drive than it was before. We made a new library on the internal drive and that is ok. We vacuumed the FW drive, no better so we're now rebuilding the library to se if that helps.
  • Fantasmic2 Level 1 (5 points)
    My problem is that it is loading the thumbnails and has been all day. The pictures are the but I am unable to edit anything because the thumbnails are not loaded yet.
  • deanzat Level 1 (0 points)
    Same here. When Aperture worked, I liked it very much, but I think it's time I went back to Photoshop exclusively. At least I had an inelegant workflow that ALWAYS worked...
    I now think the problem I have is a compatibility issue between my firewire 400 external enclosure and Snow Leopard, as any communication with it is painfully slow, even in finder. I connected the same drive using a USB cable and it is back to normal.
    I use an external USB drive to store referenced RAW. I did a test and it tooks about 3 minutes to copy a 4.5 Go file. It must be somethings else.
  • rkkwan Level 1 (60 points)
    zemitch - I also use one of the slowest machines capable of running SL, but my your graphics card may be different than mine. But I also store my masters on an external drive and that wasn't the issue.

I found rebuilding the database of Aperture when starting up helps a bit, but the biggest improvement is to do cropping/straightening AFTER the other adjustments. That changes my workflow, but with no crop/straighten, the other adjustments didn't not show the horrible slowdown.

See if that helps you.
  • RodrigoA Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm also having an uselessly slow Aperture 2.1.4 even by avoiding Snow Leopard.
  • Fantasmic2 Level 1 (5 points)
    I have not been having trouble with Aperture until I loaded Snow Leopard. It is really slow. It would be nice if they would update it.
  • McMan Level 1 (35 points)
    Mine is also painfully slow with lock-ups.
    Took an hour plus to import 200 raw photos yesterday. Use to take minutes with old OS! Now that's improvement right!

Jeesh, think i'll go to Lightroom instead!
    @rkkwan it seems that Aperture becomes very slow after a crop.
    But I am almost sure that even if I do not crop an image then Aperture is slower than before. If I crop then it is really unusable.
    I've sent a comment to Apple about this issue (directly from Aperture). I invite all users with similar issue to do the same.
    Switch to Lightroom? Maybe, but I will give a chance to Apple as I (used to?) like very much Aperture.
  • McMan Level 1 (35 points)
    I'm trying the 30 day free trial of lightroom. You may want to give it a try.

I'm so over this Aperture Bull. It's supposed to be geared towards professional photographers and yet it's un-usable asis.

This is unacceptable in my book. They never advise to what is going on with bugs. We are always just supposed to sit back and hope it will work out!

My photography business can't run like that! My clients can't wait and wait and wait!
    I read that the Firewire issue had been sorted with 10.6.1, but mine was still slow after the update. If any of you are using FW drives that is very likely the source of your slowness.
Previous 1 2 3 Next