Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro 9 and VSTs

Ok, folks, I'm a week into this Logic business and I'm loving it thus far. I was told by the guy @ TekServe (where I purchased Logic) that Logic 9 supports VSTs. Now, I heard otherwise...and I also heard you needed a 3rd party program to allow the VSTs to work.

I've never really used VST's before. Could someone explain to me what needs to be done for my Logic Pro 9 to use VSTs, if at all possible? Also, does anyone have any suggestions/recomendations on which VSTs are the best?

24" iMac 2.16Ghz, 1gig Ram, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Logic 9, ProTools LE 10.4.1, Reason 4

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 11:07 AM

16 replies

Sep 8, 2009 11:58 AM in response to AgeProductions

It almost always works, and the "VST plugs in AU's clothes" perform fine. I've wrapped some 42 VST's. I had the AU versions of all but a dozen of them, but I am a sucker for testing, so I wrapped them anyway just to see if it all worked. Only two small Korg insert-effect plugs couldn't be wrapped, the other 40 could. One synth that didn't work properly as native AU plugin actually did work when I used the to AU wrapped VST version, using the FXpansion app.
After the wrapping proces they just sit there until you use them. So no pain.

However, almost all VST-Plugs for Mac also come in an AU version. So unless you have some Mac VST's that are not available as AU, and you desperately want to use them, get the VST-to-Au-Adapter app from FXPansion.

regards, Erik.

Sep 8, 2009 12:03 PM in response to Eriksimon

Erik,

First off, excuse my ignorance. (I learn quickly though!)

So, basically "AU" is Apple's version of "VST", correct? That said, where can I buy some good AU's? I currently have no "VSTs" anyway, so I might as well go to "AU", right?

I just purchased Logic 9 and want more sounds. I am looking for something like what Reason 4 had. Thos Synthasizers that you can manipulate (wav forms etc.). Also, I am looking for organs, maybe some Phantom, Motif etc type sounds.

Sep 8, 2009 12:16 PM in response to AgeProductions

AgeProductions wrote:
Erik,

First off, excuse my ignorance. (I learn quickly though!)

That's okay, ignorance is not a sin. People need it to stay curious... 😉

So, basically "AU" is Apple's version of "VST", correct?

Yep.

That said, where can I buy some good AU's? I currently have no "VSTs" anyway, so I might as well go to "AU", right?

I just purchased Logic 9 and want more sounds. I am looking for something like what Reason 4 had. Thos Synthasizers that you can manipulate (wav forms etc.). Also, I am looking for organs, maybe some Phantom, Motif etc type sounds.

You should really explore the onboard Synths in Logic, as well as the sounds/sampled instruments you can load into the EXS24 sampler. As for Synths, the ES2 and Sculpture are two of my personal favorites within LS.
What I have done and what you can do too is download demo versions of various instruments. And downloiad every freebie that floats around - some surprisingly good ones amongst them.

It is very much a matter of taste and preference, there are already many hundreds of AU instruments out there, from absolutely free to almost unaffordable.

Anything Audio Plugin you can find here, with a nice detailed configurable search engine:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php

regards, Erik.

Oct 4, 2009 2:00 PM in response to Eriksimon

I must confess that, even as an electronic musician for 3 decades I still feel like a n00b to this stuff.

My question is: is a VST specific to OS, or will any old PC VST work on the Mac (Snow Leopard now)? I am interested in trying to wrap OP-X Pro
(h++p://www . sonicprojects . ch/opxpro/description.html)

and this librarian for my JV 880
(h++p://www . squest . com/Windows/Instruments/RolandJV-880/index.html)

...don't want to spend the flow on the wrapper or software if it can't be done ... if anyone has any experience they can share on this I'd really appreciate it. I already own OP-X Pro and have it running on a Muse Receptor and it's reasonable, but I'd really like to bring it into the Mac so I don't need to lug my whole rack along.

TIA,
/perk

Message was edited by: Ed Purkiss

Oct 4, 2009 2:17 PM in response to Ed Purkiss

VSTs are OS specific, but a number of them have OS X versions. The librarian is OS X compatible (as the site says), but OP-X Pro isn't. There is a project to get windows VSTs running on OS X (WACVST) - see KVRaudio's posting ( http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=249887&postdays=0&postorder=asc&st art=75) for more info on it.

You may also want to consider getting the software edition of Kore 2 -- it's twice the price of the FXPansion wrapper, but it offers a lot of flexibility and has a nice integrated preset browser. Get the demo from native-instruments.com and test it out with your setup to make sure it works.

Oct 4, 2009 3:29 PM in response to Fidelity

I own Kore II ... it is a miserable failure for me. They coded it to only use a single core of the machine, regardless of what you have under the hood. Kick Akoustic piano on and ANY thing else and the latency and static is so bad it's pathetic. Even a single Massive pad is useless under Kore. I went to their forums and had a lot of discussion with their folks and they are "looking a a solution ... they understand the problem."

But frankly, Main Stage looks to be that and so much more already ... if I was them I don't know if I'd go up against it - especially for the price.

Thanks for your time mate, every little bit of nudge helps. since posting this, I'm looking at the Uniwire AU for Logic, which will (supposedly) allow me to control the receptor as if it was a virtual instrument in the Mac - that would be really helpful if so.

**** this stuff is confusing :/

Oct 15, 2009 8:52 PM in response to djanthonyw

BTW: According to FXpansion's forum, the VST to AU Wrapper is no longer supported, as of Logic 8... so, I have to say it probably doesn't work for Logic 9 either.

This is very sad, as I have a million old VST plugins I'd love to run... many which do not have AU equivalents, nor can easily be re-created using the AU plugins that I DO have.

Does anyone have a solution?

Logic Pro 9 and VSTs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.