Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remapping F9- f12 keys on Aluminum Keyboard for Final Cut Pro 6

I'm working through the Apple Pro Training book, "FCP 6: Professional Editing in Final Cut Studio 2", and one of the first things the book recommends is to remap the F9 thru F12 keys for FCP functions. However, I have the new Apple thin aluminum extended keyboard, and those keys are labeled as volume controls, and there doesn't seem to be any way to change them in System Preferences (on previous Apple keyboards, these would be mapped for Dashboard and Exposé). How can I go about this?

PM G5 (Late 2005) 2x 2.3GHz, 6.5GB RAM | PowerBook 15", 1.5 GHz (Leopard), Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhone 1st Gen 8GB- v3.0.1

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 2:00 PM

6 replies

Sep 8, 2009 2:05 PM in response to Terry Smelker

In System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse > Keyboard, activate the checkbox for "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys".

In System Preferences > Exposé & Spaces > Exposé, deactivate Exposé by selecting - (minus) for All Windows, Application Windows and Show Desktop. If you still want to use F keys for Exposé, move them to be in the F13 - F19 range instead. Those keys are not used by FCP. Do the same for Dashboard.

You can use the functions as marked on the buttons by pressing the fn key.

Remapping F9- f12 keys on Aluminum Keyboard for Final Cut Pro 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.