Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Web Host (APLUS.NET) Doesn't Work Well With Mail. Need Suggestions.

Hey guys,

I've been with Aplus.net for 5 years or so now. I've been having lot's of problems with my email portion of my service with them. Aplus.net claims that the problems are all related to Apple Mail, as there is known history of problems with the mail client interacting with their servers. They recommend we use Thunderbird or other 3rd party mail clients. But we want to use mail. What Web Hosts do you use with Apple Mail that is dependable? We highly depend on our email for our work and need it to work.

FYI, issues we encounter are related to constant clocking with errors;
- Mail can’t verify the identity of “pro33.abac.com”.
- An SSL error has occurred and a secure connection to the server cannot be made.
- There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account XXXXX” or try again.
- The server error encountered was: The connection to the server “pro33.abac.com” on port 993 timed out.

All settings are correct and errors are sporadic. Some accounts connect, some don't. Some computers connect with account "A" while the computer right next to it with the same account won't connect.

Thanks for your input!

Mac Pro / MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 2:46 PM

5 replies

Sep 8, 2009 7:26 PM in response to Al Okyne

Greetings,

How long have you been having problems with your email service from them? While they might claim that Mail is the problem, that's a lie; Mail has been around for more than 20 years and has no documented problems with connecting to servers. The standard response for clueless email providers and web hosts is to blame Apple, when the real fault is right in front of them.

You cannot be the only user of Mail for their email service, so the problem almost certainly lies with how their servers and software are setup to work. I'd call them and speak only to a senior manager who actually knows what they're doing and talking about and see if they can't help you resolve this problem.

I don't use any web hosting service, so I can't suggest any alternatives for you.

Sep 30, 2009 9:29 PM in response to Golden Shoes

I am having the same types of problems with aplus.net. It just started after they did an "upgrade". Their support people have been very pleasant but they've decided that it is a mac problem because they can't reproduce my issues while using their web based mail client. I'm currently looking for a mac friendly hosting company. Any recommendations would be great...

Thanks, Lee

Oct 26, 2009 3:23 PM in response to Al Okyne

I WAS a long time long suffering aplus client. Here is how they resolved the Mac Mail issue: " We cannot support MacMail errors, and they are displaying properly within the webmail program. You should test this on a seperate email client, such as Mozilla Thunderbird. We have now closed this ticket. Below is a link to Thunderbird" Also the recent server update broke all of our websites the use php. And the new web control panel looks like something from MS DOS 1989 - Utterly useless.

My Web Host (APLUS.NET) Doesn't Work Well With Mail. Need Suggestions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.