Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth dongle recognized but not installed

Hi everyone!

I just bought a new bluetooth dongle for my Mini G4, which hadn't had one. The problem i have is now: The Mac recognizes the dongle properly, but it does not install any software (e.g. the Bluetooth Preference Panel).

System Profiler says:
Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Produkt-ID: 0x0001
Vendor-ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)
Version: 19.15

I've searched on Google, and the internet says that this chipset works on a mac. I rely on the chipset because the dongle itself was a cheap one from China (per eBay). But i think the Chipset is the important part, so this dongle should work for my mac, but it clearly does not.

What can i do?

Mac Mini G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 3:12 PM

14 replies

Sep 9, 2009 7:30 AM in response to simonszu

Absolutely the same story. The bluetooth dongle seems to be the same as yours and it does not work, idVendor = 0x0a12, idProduct = 0x0001, bcdDevice = 0x1915. But another revision of the same dongle works like a charm (bcdDevice = 0x3164). Both dongles work flawlessly in Windows XP without any driver updates.

Sep 10, 2009 3:38 AM in response to simonszu

Not all third-party USB Bluetooth Adapters are fully compatible with the Mac.

Compatibility is not only dependent on the chipset used. Macs are supplied with either built-in CSR and Broadcom hardware, but that doesn't automatically mean third-party adapters using those chipsets will work.

Really you should've bought one that is specifically advertised as being Mac compatible, or just bought the one officially supported and recommended by Apple - the D-Link DBT-120.

Sep 23, 2009 12:42 PM in response to simonszu

After pondering this matter a bit more, I realized that the dongle is useless for Mac users because they are for USB 2.0 ports. IIRC, none of the macs that need bluetooth have USB 2.0 ports. I have contacted the particular eBay vendor that sold me the dongle, and they agreed to remove the "compatible with Mac OS X" reference in their store advertising. This is for a LK-41134 dongle. There may be other "compatible" models and other eBay merchants may choose to advertise that these devices are "Mac OS X compatible" so caveat emptor.

Best,
++aldo

Oct 31, 2009 10:02 PM in response to simonszu

I'm having the same problem, although mine was purchased from amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFHA6I/ref=ossT15product ) and the listing mentions it's Mac compatible, and the package for the dongle itself says the interface is USB 1.1.

System Profiler says:
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Product ID: 0x0001
Vendor ID: 0x0a12

Nov 7, 2009 8:17 PM in response to simonszu

Count me in as another recipient of a disappointing mini bluetooth dongle that was supposed to be
OS X compliant. Like others, Apple System Profiler sees it for what it is but OS X hates it ruthlessly.

Product ID: 0x0001
Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Location ID: 0x19132000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0

Bluetooth dongle recognized but not installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.