Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing and Playlists

Has anyone figured out a way to copy over playlists using the new home sharing feature in iTunes? It's looking to me that it isn't supported (like with music and movie files) but I'd be glad to hear otherwise. I have a ton of playlists....

Windows

Posted on Sep 9, 2009 3:11 PM

16 replies

Sep 10, 2009 5:55 AM in response to Miles Kaye

How does using old old form of sharing help? You still can't drag the playlists from the remote machine to your machine. And if you select a playlist on the remote machine and drag the files to a playlist, Home Sharing starts to copy all the files! The "File->New Playlist from selection" option is greyed out when you select files on the remote machine.

Sep 10, 2009 11:15 AM in response to HowardH

Alright so I was wondering the same thing as everyone else in this forum... I don't think it is possible to just drag and drop the playlist... but I found a relatively easy way to accomplish the same thing.

First make sure that you have shared all the music that you want in that playlist to the computer that previously did not have that music.

Next (on the original computer) while in the playlist you would like to share go to file, library, export playlist.

Then either save this .txt file to either an idisk, flash drive, shared folder, or however so that then you can move it onto the computer that you would like the playlist on.

Once the .txt file is on the new computer simply go to file, library, import playlist.

If all of the songs are in your library then they should be put into that playlist.

I know this is cumbersom but it was the best way I could find. Let me know if there is a better way by all means.

Sep 10, 2009 3:28 PM in response to RMoss

That should work for most people although doing it one by one is a slow process. I think I'm stuck because I managed my music directory myself on my windows box. If you look at the playlist export file, it has hardcoded C: drive paths in there. I don't think it'll upload into my Macbook Pro where the directories are managed by ITunes (default when you copy with home sharing) because of the paths.

Sep 13, 2009 7:43 AM in response to HowardH

I think the functionality would be 100% more useful if you could do the following:

1) turn on home sharing on a computer with a nice library (remote).

2) go to another computer with a different library (local).

3) create playlists on the local computer using songs located on the remote computer WITHOUT copying physical files over - so the playlist is just "pointers" to the files sitting on the remote computer.

4) use those local "pointer" playlists on local machine just like any other playlist - listen, sync to ipod, etc.

I don't want to make duplicates of my files all over my house (and some older/smaller computers simply don't have the HD space to do this), but I would like my kids to be able to create playlists of songs on other computers, sync to their ipods, etc.

Home Sharing and Playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.