Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double click home button opens music app after 3.1.1 update, not good!

I just updated to iPod Software 3.1.1(Build 7C145) today and now the double clicking of the home button opens the music app, instead of bringing up the pop up window of music controls like before. I have checked the settings in Settings>General>Home and selected iPod with iPod controls toggled on.

How do I get it to come up with the popup window again?

And if its not possible, how do I revert back to the previous software without going off an old backup and removing all my data?

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1st Gen iPod Touch - iPhone 3.0 OS

Posted on Sep 9, 2009 4:33 PM

103 replies

Sep 10, 2009 1:20 PM in response to Juice207

Apple needs to add this feature back IMMEDIATLY! For us first gen ipod users this new update makes it horrible when it comes to changing volume or using aps with different volume settings.

Either re-add it or give all of us 1st gen users (who payed a REALLY STEEP price for it in the first place)new ipods that are compatible with this software. I fugure for the $500 we spent it won't be a big hit for apple since current ones are now half that price.

Sep 9, 2009 5:31 PM in response to mp3fan

mp3fan wrote:
The pop up window comes up if music is already playing. Otherwise it goes to the music app.

That is correct and how it has been before. However, if the Touch is in Sleep mode, pressing the Home button twice only brings the unlock prompt. Previously, double-tapping the Home button while music was playing in Sleep mode would bring up a window with music controls.

Sep 10, 2009 12:22 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

rockmyplimsoul wrote:
mp3fan wrote:
The pop up window comes up if music is already playing. Otherwise it goes to the music app.

That is correct and how it has been before. However, if the Touch is in Sleep mode, pressing the Home button twice only brings the unlock prompt. Previously, double-tapping the Home button while music was playing in Sleep mode would bring up a window with music controls.

Not for me. If I double-tap the Home button whilst in sleep mode, the music controls appear - even if there is no music playing at the time.

Sep 10, 2009 1:16 AM in response to mp3fan

Double tapping the home button when in sleep mode/at the unlock screen, will only display the music controls if the application that you were using was not playing an audio stream at the time that the iPod/iPhone was put to sleep.

If you are playing a game that has background/menu music, the sleep mode/unlock screen music controls will not appear. In OS 3.0 this was a non-issue primarily because the iPod controls pop-up was always accessible regardless of the active audio streams present. This is no longer the case with OS 3.1.

Apple needs to address this issue.

Sep 10, 2009 6:17 AM in response to BenJonesUK

I'm so confused now.

I have a first gen iPod Touch and it doesn't have volume buttons. So it's a necessity to have the double click Home button bring up the window including the volume control (which happens only when headphones are plugged in). For example, if I'm playing a game and need to lower or raise the volume of the game's sounds, using the double click Home button is the only way to do that. Very few (if any) apps have volume control in the app itself. If the headphones aren't plugged in it gives me the now playing track pop up without the volume control. To get the volume slider, I must have the headphones plugged in. I'm using 3.0 and it also worked that way in 2.x.

Did this capability go away in 3.1.1? Will I still be able to use the double home click to control the volume when headphones are plugged in?

BTW, I have the Home settings set to Home and iPod Controls = ON.

Sep 10, 2009 9:23 AM in response to BenJonesUK

BenJonesUK, the issue is that in 3.0 and earlier, if you set the double click Home button action to "Home" (which was the default setting), and had the iPod Controls set to "ON", double clicking the Home Button would always lead to the iPod Controls pop-up being displayed.

I guess you can say that this functionality was actually a bug in 3.0 and earlier, since Apple did not create an "Always show iPod Controls" double click Home option. However in the scenario I listed above it has behaved in that manner since the release of OS 2.2, so for some like myself it is frustrating losing a certain functionality that you had access to for nearly a year.

Sep 10, 2009 12:37 PM in response to W.I.C

W.I.C:
I guess you can say that this functionality was
actually a bug in 3.0 and earlier, since Apple
did not create an "Always show iPod Controls"
double click Home option....

- Start music playing.
- Go to Safari or anywhere else.
- The phone rings or something.
- Double-click the Home button to pause music.
- Double-click the Home button again when you're ready to resume/unpause music.
- Huh? Can't do this anymore. I have to lose my place in the app I'm in.

By what stretch of the imagination, by what fantastic overthrow of the laws of probability, common sense, usability, functionality, propriety, and former Human Interface Group wisdom - is this a... "bug"?

__

Definition - FUG: noun, a F_eature that would be called a b_UG, had not the usability-clueless programmers deliberately included it.

Common usage - "To Microsoft": "To FUG-up!"

__

It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.

__

If it happens once, it's a bug. If it happens twice, it's a feature. If it happens more than twice, it's a design philosophy.

Sep 10, 2009 2:21 PM in response to George Machen

George, if you read my earlier posts in this topic you would clearly see my stance on the exclusion of this functionality.

The reason why I mention that one can consider the 3.0 and earlier implementation as a bug, is due to the implementation and description of the 'double click home button' feature when anything but "Home" is chosen; It was designed to take a user to a predefined section/app on the device, or when playing music, take a user to the iPod controls.

In 3.1, when you choose the 'Home' option, it now behaves just like the other options in the double click actions list, fixing the 'bug' that many of us regard as necessary functionality. However fixing that 'bug' has now exposed a new bug: resuming playback via the iPod controls pop-up.

In my opinion, when they introduced the double-click home button feature, what Apple should have done was replace the "Home" option with the/an "iPod controls" (always shown) option, since a single push of the Home button is all that is ever necessary to switch to the home screen.

As it stands now, when the "Home" option is chosen and music is not actively being played, a double-click and single-click of the Home button results in redundant functionality.

All in all, I couldn't stand having neutered iPod controls so I downgraded.

Double click home button opens music app after 3.1.1 update, not good!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.