Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 3GS won't turn on or charge....

Hello,

My Mrs got home from work today and thought her battery was dead so plugged in her iPhone, an hour later and still not turning on!!

It's stuck on the red battery with lightening sign underneath.

It's a 3GS - Optus 3.01 not jailbroken, bought from Telechoice in Westfield Eastgardens, Australia in June just after launch.

I've tried to hold down home and on/off buttons and it just re-boots into the same mode. I also tried connecting to the Mac and re-booting as i found through google this worked in other cases.

No joy though, looks like i'll have to take it back, do you reckon i should take it to the Apple shop in the city or back to the place of purchase? Or do you have any other ideas to get it to work?

Thanks in advance eggs 🙂

EDIT: It's just suddenly switched on and beeped in to life whilst whilst attached to the iMac after i posted this, please delete the thread (how strange)

Message was edited by: euaneggs

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 3:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 5:08 PM

NOOO! Please don't delete this topic! I have the EXACT SAME problem! It came back to life for 3 hours and dead again! Don't get too excited.

My iPhone is also from Australia, I got it through e-bay as we don't have an Apple store here! It's factory unlocked.

Help me please!
11 replies

Sep 12, 2009 8:01 PM in response to Galliano

I have a 32GB 3GS and today mine died on me too.
I left to go to Lowes knowing my battery was full. Made one phonecall
got home.. iphone was off..
So plugged it into the charger, and saw the red battery with lightning bolt.
It's been on the charger for three hours and no battery power yet, I cannot turn the phone on.
I have tried Recovery mode, that did not work.
Then tried DFU mode, that did not work either, cannot make it work in itunes.

What steps next ?? I live two hours away from an apple store and really don't want to drive there

Sep 13, 2009 12:04 PM in response to activ8xp

SAME ****!!

I bought a brand new 32GB 3GS yesterday and it died on me after 6 hours without me even using it, plugged it in the charged before i went to bed woke up 6 hours later, same thing, red battery with lightning bolt.

Can't get Itunes to recognize it either... and apple store is an hour and a half away....

Sep 14, 2009 2:54 AM in response to 3ala2

Iphone 3GS 16Gb White
London UK
o/s 3.1

I had my phone for 2 days.... Sync to Pc and updated to the current software and all contacts and running google mail. Added 9 apps all fine for 1st 24 hours.

Then I charged it again as was going to work. Just about made it to the 12 hrs when battery life got low....

Put it on charge, 3rd party charger and the phone did not charge.... Continued to drain.....

I switched it off and still it continued to drain whee by it eventually died....

Can't get it to charge. Had it on for 4 hours and it just got very warm....

Due a replacement today.....

Any reason as to why this happened.... ANYBODY.....

Jan 13, 2010 3:56 PM in response to euaneggs

Was sending mail, surfing web, locked it, put it in my pocket drove home and black screen. and wouldn't do anything!!! I knew the charge was at least 85% had not long taken it off the charger.

Googled the issue and got to the forum, read the posts and tried the following from the posts:

"hold the power button and the home button, what i did was hold them both together for 10 seconds and it reseted the whole phone and after that no problems at all"

What the heck kind of mode was it in? Anybody figured this out? What caused it?

Man, liked to crapped my pants....

Feb 3, 2010 2:01 AM in response to ljvargas

To all those who still have this problem, the following procedure might help you.

A friend of mine who has one of the early models of 3GS with OS 3.0 running had same problem.

This is what I did to fix it.

1. Plugged in the phone to Computer, the screen showed up with empty battery.
2. Held Home+Power button the phone blinked released Power button but still held the home button. iTunes recognized the phone and stated phone in Recovery MODE.

3. Clicked restore to the latest version of the OS, as soon as the iTunes rebooted the phone to process the restore disconnected the phone. Did a restart, and wallah, the phone started fine.

If the second part of the process doesn't work for some people try switching the mute button to on or off. As couple of times the phone wouldn't boot to Recovery Mode.

Note: I had my computer speakers on so every time i could hear that the USB is connecting to a device or something like that. Also, when the phone booted in Recovery Mode i had a black screen so the only way I knew if it was in Recovery mode was because I had iTunes ON.

Hope it helps some people.
And please ignore my grammar, English is not my native language.

Regards;

Feb 8, 2010 6:28 AM in response to tatail

This worked beautifully. I had the same exact problem, my 3GS drained from 100% to 0 in an hour or so, and then wouldn't charge no matter where I plugged it in, and a restart only brought it back to the red battery and charging logo screen. My phone is currently backing up and resyncing with my computer, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I can now cancel my appointment with the genius bar.

iPhone 3GS won't turn on or charge....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.