Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD Task Server gathering reports even when reporting is disabled

We have noticed lately that at 2am each morning there is a considerable amount of network usage initiated by my task server presumably gathering reports from machines at different sites.

I had recently deleted all my computers in ARD, disabled reporting, and added them back in while making sure not to apply reporting features.

I have dug around in cron, LaunchDaemons, and plist files on the clients and on my task server. On my task server I see a plist that shows reporting is disabled on all the machines. At the client level I do not see anything regarding reporting.

Would it be a good idea to re-send an ard configuration package to all of the clients?

I opened a ticket with Apple, but they won't do anything without having purchased software support.

Mixed environment

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 7:50 AM

4 replies

Sep 10, 2009 9:20 AM in response to Ken_Edgar

Hmmm... I seem to have found the plist file that is doing it. I was looking at /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/Remote\ Desktop/ before... looks like /Library/Preferences/com.apple.ARDAgent.plist is the culprit.

This plist is a binary, so I had to use plutil to convert to xml in order to make it human readable. I wonder if I can just hack this file up a bit and re-deploy it to each machine. Or I wonder if it would re-build if I simply remove it from each client. I will need to test to find out, seeing as though the task servers are listed in it, probably not a good idea to remove it all the way.

ARD Task Server gathering reports even when reporting is disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.