No helful information for you im afraid but i have just upgraded to iTunes 188.8.131.52 having firmwared my iPhone to 3.1 and am getting the same issue.
My PC is a recently rebuilt 32bit Vista installation which has untill now been running without issue.
I did notice when installing iTunes, it seemed to take ages to install and at one point performed a "roll-back" before completing "successfully".
Information on the forums points to other people having this issue in the past with no further assistance from apple and winding up rebuilding pc's
It was suggested to me that I try installing the latest version of the iPhone Configuration Utility (2.1)
The installation took forever and then bombed out at the end.
Here's what worked for me:
1. Uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support (AMDS).
2. Restart computer.
3. Repair iTunes v9 install. (This should reinstall latest AMDS.)
4. Plug in iPod.
If that didn't work for you then:
5. Repeat 1 & 2 if AMDS present.
6. Uninstall iTunes v9.
7. DO NOT REBOOT COMPUTER.
8. Reinstall iTunes v9. (No data should be lost.)
9. Plug in iPod
Ok, here is what seems to have worked for me. I was not able to uninstall AMDS from the control panel, because it was generating a fatal error. I then stopped all apple related services, and then did a repair installation. This allowed me to uninstall AMDS, but when I went to repair Itunes...it didn't reinstall AMDS.
I then uninstalled everything related to Apple, Itunes, Bonjour, Apple software update, Apple application support, the Iphone Configuration utility. I then installed Itunes 9 from the downloaded file, and it opened fine. I then connected my iphone and it synced fine as well. It's downloading the 3.1 firmware now and I will disconnect and reconnect once that is installed to make sure it's all still working.
Hopefully this works for the rest of you.
p.s. I didn't reboot at all during the uninstall of all services and reinstall.
Hi Guys. Listen to what worked for me
- Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/ and stop Aple Mobile device service from running
- Then go to C:\ProgramData\Apple\Installer Cache and delete all previous Apple Mobile Device Support folders that contains installation archives
- Extract AppleMobileDeviceSupport.msi from iTunesSetup.exe using WinZip or anything else
- Run the msi et voila Everything works fine when you open Itunes and connect your phone or pod
I suppose that the existence of Installer cached items wouldn't let the installation included in iTunesetup.exe to complete
Hope it ill work for you
I have Windows Vista 64 bit and Apple Mobile Device support will not install no matter what. It gets to the end of the "copying new files" stage and then starts the "rolling back action" and ends saying "the installer encountered errors before Apple Mobile Device support could be configured."
All of the other components of iTunes 9 installs just fine but without AMDS I can't connect my phone. I've tried everything posted so far and no luck. Looks like I may be stuck going back to iTunes 8.
Message was edited by: dg3274