Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up after 3.1 update

Anyone having issues backing up their original iPhones after the 3.1 update? I have tried twice to back it up and gave up both times after an hour of waiting for it to finish.

imac, Mac OS X (10.6), iphone, ipod

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 1:34 PM

The first backup with my iPhone after installing firmware update 3.1 was taking much longer than normal. So much longer that I decided to quit the backup and delete the backup at iTunes > Preferences under the Devices tab. I followed this by creating a new backup for my iPhone, which took much longer than normal, but updated backups when syncing since that time is back to normal.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2009 1:34 PM in response to michandbett

The first backup with my iPhone after installing firmware update 3.1 was taking much longer than normal. So much longer that I decided to quit the backup and delete the backup at iTunes > Preferences under the Devices tab. I followed this by creating a new backup for my iPhone, which took much longer than normal, but updated backups when syncing since that time is back to normal.

Sep 10, 2009 1:53 PM in response to michandbett

Its so extremely slow. I can't wait any longer, this is the second time I've tried to complete back up. Not sure what it could possibly be doing that is slower than copying the entire 8GBs.
A back up that takes forever to complete is not a back up, its a FAIL.
Excuse me while I cancel my iPhone FAIL. ...
Ok, syncing now and I can resume my life.

Sep 10, 2009 5:08 PM in response to Jeff Hallgren

I have the same problem. It is taking forever to backup my iPhone now that I upgraded to 3.1. It has been backing up for at least an hour or more.

While I was typing this it finally moved on to the syncing process and I also told it to update my applications while I was waiting for it to backup. I had 14 applications to update.

All of a sudden I received a pop-up message telling me that my computer was not authorized to use the iPhone and I need to authorize it again. After I did that it told me I have used 3 of my 5 authorizations now. Before I had only used 2, since I have my laptop and desktop authorized. I just lost one of my computer authorizations by upgrading my iPhone to 3.1, updating iTunes to version 9, and trying to update some of my applications on my phone. What is up with that?

Now I just got another message telling me that 11 of my applications cannot be transferred because I am not authorized to play them on my computer. It is telling me to go to "iTunes Store, choose Store > Authorize Computer" to authorize the computer. I am not going to authorize the computer again! Then I will have authorize 4 out of 5 times on 2 computers.

How do I get the authorizations back that I didn't really even need to use?

backing up after 3.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.