Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused by home sharing setup

Here are the steps for home sharing:

1. Choose Advanced > Turn On Home Sharing.
2. Type your iTunes account name and password, and then click Create Home Share.
3. Using the same user name and password, repeat steps 1 and 2 on each computer.

Here is the issue. When I set home sharing up on my computer, it works as stated above. When I set it up on my wife's computer, using my iTunes login, it asks me to authorize her computer to use that account. I haven't done this yet as I haven't seen any documentation anywhere indicating that this should happen.

If I set up home sharing on her computer using her iTunes account info instead of mine, home sharing is clearly not functional.

Has anyone setup home sharing and encountered this issue? What am I doing wrong.

Thanks

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 4:53 PM

Hi there

If it's not authorised then it won't play the tracks, either as a shared library or a Home Sharing library. This is part of the restrictions requested by teh record companies to protect the artists.

Once you authorise you wife's computer then turn Home Sharing OFF then back ON and it should work.

Cheers
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2009 4:53 PM in response to sdevan

Hi there

If it's not authorised then it won't play the tracks, either as a shared library or a Home Sharing library. This is part of the restrictions requested by teh record companies to protect the artists.

Once you authorise you wife's computer then turn Home Sharing OFF then back ON and it should work.

Cheers

Sep 11, 2009 3:50 PM in response to sdevan

i have the exact same problem and i can't figure it out when I set home share up on my computer, it works . When I set it up on my brothers computer, when i click on home share it asks iTunes account and the Password and when i click on Create Home Share " It sates the following message " Home Sharing could not be activated because this computer is not authorized for the account " ***@hotmail.com" please authorize this computer and try again"

How do i authorize my brothers computer?

Sep 12, 2009 4:57 PM in response to Sirolway

Hi there. It's not too big a deal. If you don't have the computers anymore all you need to do is call iTunes support and they can deauthorise all computers linked to your account. Then you just authorize the ones ou have now.
Please note that you can only make this request once each year.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Sep 12, 2009 5:41 PM in response to RussJP

So let me get this straight -- if you have two computers in your household, and have different authorization accounts on each computer, you cannot use HomeShare?

We have two iMacs, and each of us has our own iTunes authorization and account. We are unable to use HomeShare with our current setup, without deauthorizing one of the computers. Can you have two accounts authorized on one computer without losing downloaded files that are not in iTunes Plus format?

Sep 12, 2009 6:03 PM in response to David Grant2

Hi David
I have been reading a lot of posts from people that haven't been able to get this working, but I really didn't have any problems.
My partner and I each have a MacBook, each with our own iTunes accounts.
I activated Home Sharing on my MacBook, then authorised my account on his MacBook, then did the same thing in reverse with his account, and all was right with the world.
I didn't get it working the first time, so I watched the Intro to iTunes 9 video and it clearly explains everything. The set-up is particular in that it had to be done in a specific way. Can I recommend watching the video and see how you go. I hope it works for you because it's excellent.
Rus

Sep 12, 2009 7:09 PM in response to Valalvax

Well, you all are getting much further than I am.
I have both computers authorized, sharing turned on, both have same account, but my computer cannot see the other. I tried to follow the instructions, searched for the other computer, to no avail. But one instruction I could not follow was that I had to make sure the arrow next to "Shared" under the iTunes window is turned down. There is no arrow, and nowhere is the exact word SHARED to be seen.

Ignore what I said. As I was typing the note, the shared libraries showed up.
Sorry.

Message was edited by: LIPhotoman

Confused by home sharing setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.