Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Plantronics 975 Bluetooth Headset + iPhone = Static / Noise (??)

I have two phones, one being a BB and the other an iPhone 3GS with FW3.1. I bought a Plantronics 975 Bluetooth headset. Had no problems using the multipoint pairing option to pair with both phones. Here's where the problem comes in...

When making calls with the BB + 975, it's fine. No noise.

When making calls with the iPhone + 975, it's horrid. Static, lots of noise and calls cut in and out.

Obviously, since the headset works fine with the BB (and with other phones - Motorola and Palm - I've tested on) I'm confident I can conclude it's the iPhone itself that presents the problem.

I contacted Plantronics tech support and they state:

"The iPhone is known to exhibit a higher level of acoustic distortion through BT v2.1+EDR headsets like the Discovery 975 than is experienced by users of phones from other manufacturers. Updating to Apple FW 3.0 improves the issue to some degree but does not eliminate the distortion completely."

So am I completely screwed here? Has anyone else experience similar problems? Were you able to find a solution?

BTW, my iPhone 3GS is less than a week old and working properly.

iPhone 3GS, iPhone OS 3.0.1, updated to iPhone OS 3.1

Posted on Sep 10, 2009 3:54 PM

12 replies

Sep 10, 2009 4:59 PM in response to endlessct9a

Hi.,

Can I check with you if you have this problem..

I assume you have paired the iPhone 3GS to the Plantronics headset.
First, play something on the iPod.
Then go to the Bluetooth settings page where you can see all the paired devices.
after that, make a connection to the headset.
Is there any stuttering or audio breaking you hear from the headset?

I have this problem with my iTech BluebandR headset and iSkin Cerulean RX. I only found this problem with iPhone 3GS but it worked fine with 3G.

Sep 11, 2009 2:28 PM in response to Charly Wu

I've isolated the problem:

* When I make a call on the iPhone when paired to both phones, the static / noise occurs
* When I make a call on the BB Bold while paired to both phones, there is no static / noise
* When I shut off the bluetooth connection to the BB Bold and make a call on the iPhone, there are no problems

Seems that the 975 can't handle being connected to two phones when calling on the iPhone.

Nov 12, 2009 6:36 AM in response to endlessct9a

Just picked up a 975 yesterday... Same issue... Static is terrible...
I have been using a 925 for a good year now... Never had any issues with it as far as static... Great headset... I have been looking forward to the 975 coming out and now it turns out it will be unusable with the iphone...

I upgraded my iphone to a 3GS two months ago... Am running 3.1 software on it... Frustrating that the iphone,.. which I do love,.. and have had nothing but iphones since initial release,.. is limiting my bluetooth preferences with this "STATIC" issue... Plantronics are top of the line headsets... I have a 510(Bluetooth 1.2) and the 925(Bluetooth 2.0)... Both are great... And as stated before,.. never any isues with either with static... Obv. apple is in need of a correction with the newer 2.1 Blutooth headsets... It did great with 2.0...

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY PLANTRONICS 975 THO,.. COME ON APPLE...

Dec 6, 2009 1:41 AM in response to Thanar

I've had my 3GS for several months now, and my Plantronics 975 for about the same period of time. During the workday, the bluetooth is paired via multipoint to both my iPhone and my Blackberry Tour. Same problem here with the sound on the iPhone. It's a quite annoying kind of static, not just a little crackle, like radio interference, as is common with bluetooth devices, but an obnoxious popping sort of sound, like tiny dropouts. The audio always sounds great on the Blackberry. It sounds ok on the iPhone until the BB is paired, but once both phones are connected, the problem persists even after the BB is disconnected again. The 975 is otherwise the best bluetooth device I've used, providing adequate volume, decent noise cancellation, and an ear fit which I could rave about.

Feb 12, 2010 4:12 PM in response to endlessct9a

Hey guys, I am having the same issue with the iPhone and I am running SW version 3.1.3.

I have tried several combinations and even paired the headset with 2 iPhones (mine and my wifes). Everything I have tried points towards the iPhone as causing the problem and being the culprit. If I try two non-iPhones, I don't have any issues. If I use 2 iPhones, the popping/static occurs on both.

I took the liberty of calling this in to Apple support as I didnt see where either of you had previously. This is a showstopper for me as I am on the phone all day for work and receive personal calls on my iPhone.

Plantronics 975 Bluetooth Headset + iPhone = Static / Noise (??)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.