Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Playlist order not respected on ipod nano after upgrade to iTunes 9

I have built a set of smart play lists that have worked since iTunes 7 that include all unlistened podcasts and sorts them by release date. Before upgrading to iTunes 9 the playlist maintained this order on my Nano. Since the upgrade the playlist sorts by name. I have tried restoring the ipod and choosing "copy to play order" still sorted by name on the Nano and by release date on iTunes. Any one have any ideas?

ThinkPad X60, other

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 5:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 4:17 AM

Sorry, no answer here, but I'm having the same problem on my iPhone. Podcast smart playlist sorted in chronological order - it shows just fine in iTunes, but in a different order (not alphabetically, interestingly) on the iPhone.
39 replies

Sep 13, 2009 2:15 PM in response to monosyth

I found a temporary workaround to the problem - go into Edit Smart Playlist and uncheck the "Live Updating" box. Then re-sync. The songs/podcasts will be in the correct order. However, if you want to add anything to that list (if more podcasts are downloaded, for example), you'll have to re-check that box to let them in, then uncheck the box again.

Obviously not a long-term fix, but it works for now.

Sep 14, 2009 10:29 AM in response to notmeeither

I'm seeing similar behavior when syncing my iPod 5G. Any smart playlists which collect podcasts are either empty or have a randomly ordered subset of the items which iTunes displays.

I depend on my smart playlists for my commute and my night-time learning.

They had been working perfectly for so long that I came to assume that they were the primary feature of my iPod!

Sep 14, 2009 6:35 PM in response to notmeeither

Glad this came up on the top of the list for my google search. I have an Unplayed Podcasts and New Podcasts Smart Lists that were always in date order and synced properly to my iPhone up until iTunes 9. Now I'm not sure what order they are in. I thought maybe alphabetical, but that's not it. Has anyone been able to figure out what order their smart lists are in? That may help troubleshoot this ......

Sep 14, 2009 9:17 PM in response to notmeeither

I am having the same problem too. The unchecking "live updates" only cleared the iPod Classic playlist (the podcasts came back once I checked it again and re-synched). The order that it seems to be in is Alpha Order of the "author" and then by the oldest add date.

The weird part is that it's in the correct order on iTunes. This is very annoying and I hope they're able to get a fix on this and respond quickly. I am surprised there aren't more responses to this. Any other links about this problem any of you have found?

Sep 15, 2009 6:18 PM in response to notmeeither

Same here have an audio only podcasts smart playlist not only does it jumble it the play order it also adds some of the video podcast that aren't in the playlist on iTunes. Also, interesting as a work around I copy all the items and pasted them into a normal playlist. That playlist wasn't an option to sync to the iPod. Deleted podcasts out and it was available again. apple is definitely monkeying with how it handles podcast. My two sense they should just fix the Podcast section so we don't have to create work around playlists to do something as obvious as play unplayed podcasts in chronological order.

Sep 15, 2009 6:44 PM in response to notmeeither

Ok figured it out. Apple's logic is a little flawed but here is the problem you can't select your play list in the music tab. You have to go to the Podcast tab switch from syncing all your podcasts to selected ones. Then you can tell it to add the play list as a podcast play list. This doesn't fix the play order issue but the unchecking the live updating work around will work for that once you have made this change until apple fixes things.

Smart Playlist order not respected on ipod nano after upgrade to iTunes 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.