Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

9.0 now can't complete purchase--error (no#) re time & cookies

Updated to iTunes 9.0, tried to purchase couple of apps for ipod touch. Get error cannot complete, that I should make sure date on computer is accurate (it IS) and cookies enabled for iTunes, and refers me for more info to a webpage about accounts on Windows machines. I'm on Mac PPC5. I never have cookies enabled in the browser when I access iTunes to make purchases, so I don't get the cookies bit at all. Then tried to access my iTunes account to view it, to see if anything about cookies there, but I couldn't get into my account info either. iTunes did not reject my user name & password when trying to make purchase, but I can't get into the account. On surface, without thorough check, it appears all my previous iTunes purchases (free & $) are loaded. I haven't yet tried syncing to my ipod. Have sent message to iTunes customer support. Has to be bug in this update, never had any problems in past. Thought I'd post this particular behavior in case others are experiencing it, too.

PPC G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iTunes 9.0, Safari 4.0.3

Posted on Sep 11, 2009 7:00 AM

8 replies

Sep 11, 2009 5:32 PM in response to mackedout

FWIW, repairing permissions did not help. Fully uninstalling iTunes 9.0 (using Apple support sheet guidance, not just a drag to Trash) and re-installing iTunes 9.0 did not help. I could sign in to iTunes or so it appeared as iTunes Store displayed my name and email and showed me signed in. When I tried to buy, however, up popped the 9,9 license agreement agreement which I signed again, and then the error message. I also was not able to view my account info, no matter how carefully I entered my login email and password.

What DID resolve my problems with view Account info and with being able to buy again was changing my password -- the very password I had always used in the past and the one one iTunes store was recognizing but Account was not. Go figure. I used the lost password mechanism to change the pw. Afterward, still logged in to iTunes store using old password, I successfully logged into Account info with new password. Then I again tried buying an app, and suddenly, it all worked as it should.

Sep 15, 2009 8:19 AM in response to mackedout

I'm not sure why your question is labeled "answered" - there's no info in this thread.

I'm having the same problem, and I'm pretty frustrated with it. Apparently iTunes 9 sets cookies on your computer, and uses Safari to store them. So if you don't cookies enabled in Safari (and you don't have any old iTunes cookies saved there), you can't sign in to the second level of the store (viewing your account or buying anything).

This is amazing to me - if you have cookies enabled, but SAFARI IS NOT OPEN, iTunes will still put cookies in Safari. Could other applications do this too? (that's another topic).

Did you get any reply from iTunes support?

What if someone uses Firefox exclusively?

Sep 15, 2009 9:29 AM in response to lroth

Hi, yes, I marked my query answered because I did resolve the problem of not being able to make a purchase. I resolved it by

(1) ignoring the message about cookies --I rarely have cookies enable in Safari and have never gotten that message, and, BTW, when I checked the more-info link in the error message, it took me to Apple support page about cookies and time in WINDOWS, not Mac.

(2) ignoring the message about date/time of computer as mine was absolutely accurate.

What solved the probem for me was changing my password. Now the password I carefully and accurately keyed in was the one I'd long used. Nevertheless, I clicked on forgot password and got a link to change my password. THEN I was able to log into and view my Account info. Once I could do that, I had no further problem making a purchase in iTunes.

Yes, I received two emails from iTunes support, from someone who stated up front the problem was out of her area. She offered suggestions including checking Apple support pages and checking technical support offered by Apple. Other than those, I tried the specific suggestions she had. None resolved the problem. Her followup email wasted my time. I took time to give full feedback and she thanked me in the manner people breezily say "have a nice day" in passing and suggested I give feedback to Apple.

I can't help with Firefox. My suggestion is to try the simplest first, based on what worked for me:

Try to log into your iTunes account info. If you cannot, then change your password. Easy to do, might fix the problem for you, too. ;-)) good luck.

Sep 15, 2009 1:38 PM in response to mackedout

The problem for me is not the password. I can log in to the iTunes Store. If I want to view my account or buy something, it asks me to log in again (as before). But if I have cookies disabled in Safari (and no apple cookies stored there), it won't let me buy anything or see my account - trying to buy something gives me the time/cookies error message like you got.

If I enable cookies in Safari, I can use the iTunes store as before - everything works. iTunes then puts several (many) cookies in Safari.

If I erase these cookies and disable cookies in Safari, the next time I try to buy something it doesn't work (that's after iTunes is idle for a time, as it will ask for another log-in after a period of inactivity).

Check your stored cookies - enabling cookies so you can post here will give iTunes the opportunity to store its cookies in your browser - right now I have 22 apple.com cookies stored that are not related to discussions or support from this site.

Sep 15, 2009 3:28 PM in response to lroth

Iroth, my resolution was a short ride that's over. Today, I'm back to square one. Once again, I cannot log into my account info in iTunes. I change the password (again) and still cannot log in regardless of whether I do or do not have cookies enabled in Safari 4.0.3 I haven't tried to purchase anything because not willing to spend money just to see if I get the stupid cookies/date error message again. If I can't log into my account info with the current password, I'm quite sure I would not be able to make a purchase.

I never had to be be concerned about cookies before, so IF cookies are requisite now, it came with the iTunes 9. I don't think it's cookies, frankly. I think it's an iTunes bug and I'm fed up. If Apple wants me to buy from iTunes, then they's better fix it. I'm not spending any more time on wrestling with this.

I wonder whether this is only happening on Tiger or whether it's occuring with Leopard/Snow Leopard users as well.

Sep 15, 2009 3:54 PM in response to mackedout

Sorry to hear about that. My issue's more philosophical - everything works if I have cookies enabled in Safari (which I hate doing). I was told the Macworld people that iTunes 9 stores those cookies there.

I've also heard that iTunes 9 needs Safari 4.0.3, which you have. I don't know what the problem could be otherwise. Hopefully there's a fix soon for so many wrong things in iTunes 9. Good luck.

Sep 15, 2009 4:11 PM in response to lroth

Oh, Iroth, I swear this is annoying beyond belief.

After I posted that cookies didn't make a difference, I found that the choice of cookie-setting did make a difference. If I enable Always accept cookies, and even close Safari, then yes, I can open my account info in iTunes 9. But like you, as soon as I delete the cookies, I can no longer access my account. Enabling accept cookies only by sites I navigate to did not work for me. This positively INFURIATES me because it means that if don't want to leave cookies enabled, then I have to babysit the blooming iTunes cookies (by finding and leaving them there should I wish to delete all other cookies OR I can delete them and then if I want to buy anything in iTunes, I have to actually go open Safari first and enable Always accept cookies.

Other browsers have sensible choices, such as allowing you to specifically name sites from which cookies will be accepting (and freeing you to decline ALL others). If Apple's iTunes is going to require this browser cookie stuff, then it should set up a similar preference for those of us who don't like cookies at all.

So Apple is now making me work harder than I may care to work just to buy things. It can definitely derail impulse buys, but if they don't care, c'est la vie. Aside from iPod apps, I can buy music and videos elsewhere ... and will rather than jump thru Apple's new cookie hoops. It was quick ' easy to buy before. Having to mess with cookies in Safari just to make an iTunes purchase is a PITA so far as I'm concerned.

9.0 now can't complete purchase--error (no#) re time & cookies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.