Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Mini DisplayPort Support 2 Monitors at 1920x1200

I have a new MacBook Pro with the nVidia Geforce 9400M 256MB with a Mini DisplayPort. I have it connected to a 23" LED Cinema Display, is there a way to run dual displays from this port on this card? I have a 23" Dell DVI monitor that I would like to run as well.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 4:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 4:31 PM

Yes, but you'll need a Matrox DualHead2Go DP Edition external video adapter to run the two external screens. That will cost $200-$250.
10 replies

Sep 13, 2009 10:13 AM in response to eww

eww wrote:
All the USB video cards I've seen are limited to 1600 x 1200 or lower resolution. They'd be an option if the monitors in question don't offer any higher resolution than that.

The USB video cards you are thinking of do have a limit of 1600 x 1200 if you are using analog VGA. If you are using a more recent one with DVI, the limit is usually 1920 x 1200 because it is digital. You probably won't find any that go higher then that, though.

Sep 15, 2009 2:05 PM in response to eww

Ok listen, there are USB adapters out there that work. Just because the box says PC only does not mean they will not work with the Mac.

For example when Circuit city went out of businesses they had an EVGA branded USB to DVI adapter. Regular price: $79...I paid only like $12 for it. I bought it and still haven't used it. (I already have a 24" monitor hooked up via displayport, so I don't really have the need (or space) for another display just yet) And I bought this adapter BEFORE I bought my MacBook Pro. I went down in my basement to find it one day after I got my Macbook and was disappointed to see that the box says Windows XP and Vista only. HOWEVER, I googled the model number and found that there ARE drivers for the Mac, you just have to download them.

So do the research if you are really that interested. There are many adapters out there that will do 1920 x 1200 on DVI that work with the Mac, you just have to find them.

Can the Mini DisplayPort Support 2 Monitors at 1920x1200

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.